filters for t25 1985 1900 petrol VW karisma

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dubwright
80-90 Mem No: 0

filters for t25 1985 1900 petrol VW karisma

Post by dubwright »

Hi there please help, I have recently bought a 1985 T25 1900 petrol VW karisma. i am looking for filters, parts etc and am lost in a minefield of abbreviations! how do I know if my van is a 1900 WBX or NA? or... CU, CT,DF or DG engine code? she is in for a service soon so time is short to find the bits!
on the plus side iI am just back from an amazing trouble free trip to the west coast wild camping, bliss! but just near home she started spluttering and missfiring, hence the service! hopefully someone can help a complete novice! thanks...
T25 karisma Camper. 1900 petrol DG 1985. Deb

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: filters for t25 1985 1900 petrol VW karisma

Post by Aidan »

ok don't panic it'll be a DG, check to see if the white build sticker is still present, knee high under the steering wheel, if it is then the engine code is there and will confirm, your V5 will state 1915cc Petrol, it's a WBX, that's waterboxer, ie a flat four with water cooling - you have a radiator at the front behind the two grills ?

dubwright

Post by dubwright »

hi Aiden, thanks for your reply! I think its air cooled though,as there is no place to fill a radiator at the front...tho..there may be at the back!! jee what a novice eh! will have a look when i get home, thanks!

dubwright

Post by dubwright »

hi aiden, I couldnt find the stickeron the steering column, or engine number on the engine, I looked in all the places I could find suggested on the forum. I did discover it is a 2E carb tho, so after looking up wikipedia i think it is a DG! thanks for your help, deb

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

two grills = water cooled, one grill = Aircooled, top up tank is at the back, you need to get a manual, enjoy :D

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

dubwright wrote:I think its air cooled though, as there is no place to fill a radiator at the front...tho..there may be at the back!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Aidan wrote:you need to get a manual, enjoy :D

Agreed :ok

Hi Mr/Ms dubwright - yep if you own one of these you really need to learn a bit about them.
Like if it is a water-cooled one and you let it get low on water, you could end up wrecking the (£1000 worth of) engine.
By the way, your "top up" the water behind the rear numberplate flap = only top up to 1/2 full (there are min & max marks on the plastic) and check it OFTEN

Lots of friendly advice on here, have you found where you put the water in yet ? (being an 85 plate it should be a water-cooled "WBX" engine)

Without a manual or asking someone, I bet you would never find where to put the screenwash water :wink:

Have a good look around our "wiki" here = http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Main_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and buy a Haynes manual :)

Regards

John
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

dubwright

Post by dubwright »

thanks John, I am learning! :)
I found the engine code from an image posted on this forum with a handy arrow pointing to the spot! :D very useful as i would never have found it! its a DG for sure, now I am looking to see which size alt belt to get 1100 0r 1075... :?
...as for the screen wash, the previous owner showed me, i would never have thought to look there! also the location of the brake fluid filler! who would ever have found that? :shock:
It's a real learning curve, I have got a Haynes so fingers crossed, thanks for all the help! deb

SarahD
80-90 Mem No: 9612

Post by SarahD »

Hi dubwright!

I have the same type of van as you, haven't owned it for long and like you am a complete novice! Am trying to learn too! Am finding the wiki on here very useful and I've also been buying the volksworld camper and bus magazine for the last couple of months to try to educate myself!

From the other thread I started (I think I'm gonna have to replace my fuel tank) I've found out that it's a single carb too (Pierburg 2E3) and can see the fuel filter and fuel line when I take a look underneath by the drivers side door.

The only other handy thing I've found out is to always keep a fire extinguisher handy as these are prone to fires from rotten fuel lines mainly. Mine appear to my novice eye to be in tact but it's something I will get checked and/or replaced when I get the tank done. I'm hoping to find a friendly mechanic who is prepared (although I'm aware I'll end up paying more in labour costs) to allow me to observe some of the work, look underneath her whilst she's raised and to ask a few questions. It's a trade off with the money side but I think it's the best way I can learn in the absence of a suitable basic mechanics course locally.

Anyway I think we're both in for an interesting journey with our vans! Keep in touch!

Sarah

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Watercooled 1.9 service parts ... http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... gory_id=72 square filter = early (which your's should be at that year but it may have been swapped over the past 25 years) You need 4.5 litres of the 15w/40 MINERALoil. :wink:

Watercooled 1.9 ignition parts your's should be late type at that year ...
Rotor arm ... http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... ory_id=122
Cap ... http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... ory_id=122
Leads ... http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... ory_id=122
Plugs (4 off) ... http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... ory_id=122

There ya go :ok
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure