Bad Petrol ?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mark1967
80-90 Mem No: 0

Bad Petrol ?

Post by mark1967 »

How common is it to get shoddy petrol nowadays?
A few weeks ago straight after putting petrol in ( a couple of mins) the van started coughing and spluttering coming to a stop on the A38 going home.It would still fire up but it wouldnt continue running unless i pumped the throttle.After a few minutes rest i restarted it and set off again.It ran OK apart from a few hiccups on the way home. Checked the fuel filter and there was no dirt in it,checked choke etc was working OK everything seemed alright. (Van is 1.9 petrol with a Pierburg 2E)
Convinced it was something to do with the fuel Id just put in I glugged another 2 or 3 gallons in every time I went out in it so as not to be running on an empty tank dragging muck up and forgot about it. Since then it ran ok with no repeats of it until Sunday afternoon on the M1 (again a couple of minutes after putting petrol in) when it conked out again.Like before it would start up but wouldnt run unless the throttle was pumped to within an inch of its life and if you tried to pull off it would just stall.I decided to call the RAC who couldnt really find anything wrong other than he said the rotor arm (restricted type) was tracking a bit :? and towed us home.No sooner than he took the tow strap off it started up idled,and then pulled on the yard under its own power :shock: .I dont know whether it is just a case of being unlucky enough to get 2 lots of dodgy petrol (which RAC man seemed to think was unlikely) or if something is about to give up the ghost .Van is 1.9 petrol with a Pierburg 2E

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Bad Petrol ?

Post by kevtherev »

Make sure the idle speed control valve works
(ignition on, disconnect it and reconnect it, you should hear an audible click). The hole it closes and opens should be clear so taking it off the carb would be good to look.
fuel tank vent hose blocked... fuel pipes restricted are all in common with your problem

I would also suspect a failing fuel pump or worn pushrod too, after a high speed run the pump may be struggling to keep up supply
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Roland

Post by Roland »

I keep getting similar problems at the mo with my 2.1 inj eng. I'v replaced fuel filter ,cap and rotor arm , plugs and cleaned idle valve and throttle body air box etc but have found no reason for the intermittant rough running. Lumpy and cutting out at low revs but can throttle through it then it will suddenly clear. running sweet at the mo but am off to Cornwall on Saturday so fingers will be crossed. Bad fuel too ??

mark1967

Post by mark1967 »

Thanks for the replies,only just got internet back on :roll: , had a poke round couldnt find anything untoward and as yet van is OK

smashyvan
80-90 Mem No: 3636

Post by smashyvan »

Change fuel filter & check hidden filter in inlet stub of Pierburg, I didnt know it was there till someone on here told me - and was full of crud. Now checked regularly
1988 Hitop Bilbo Aragon 1.9 DG manual