Mk 1 Golf steering wheel fitted to T25

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ben.p
80-90 Mem No: 13472

Re: Mk 1 Golf steering wheel fitted to T25

Post by ben.p »

Hi there I know this thread is a while old but I've installed my unit and I'm having issues with earthing of the steering column. If I touch the horn contact to the outside of the Collum it works, which indicates that there is a each issue with the shaft earth. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Ben.

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

If you attach the input to the switch contact to the outside of the colum & it works then that would indicate a problem with the horn switch to me. If you are connecting the normally open contact & it works when you press the horn button then it appears you have the same problem as previous posters mention in this post.

ben.p
80-90 Mem No: 13472

Post by ben.p »

Jeff J wrote:If you attach the input to the switch contact to the outside of the colum & it works then that would indicate a problem with the horn switch to me. If you are connecting the normally open contact & it works when you press the horn button then it appears you have the same problem as previous posters mention in this post.

Hi Jeff J, i used a piece of wire from the brass horn pin/ contact (one that mates with the slip ring) to the shaft with no luck, if i touch to earth (chassy) then it works. it seems a bit puzzling, maybe i need to use copper grease on the inner UJ, to help with grounding issues.

Cheers, Ben.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

Post by Just_Kitt »

Ok guys - I've changed my wheel exactly like this post suggests to a Golf GTI one with some motherbord spacers as sugested but I am stuck with the horn constantly on now! Any ideas? With out the spacers the set up works fine but the wheel rattles and the steering lock won't work! With the spacers it all works perfectly apart from the constant horn!!
GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

You need to adjust the steering column, its all in the Haynes and Bentley manuals.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk