Water pooling on front wheel arches!

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mellogecko
80-90 Mem No: 0

Water pooling on front wheel arches!

Post by mellogecko »

Evening All. First rain my Campers seen since i bought it and straight away i've found when i open the front doors there's water pooling on the inside top of the wheel arches. This from just being parked on the drive. The actual door seals look good, could it be my window seals failing? The lower vents on the doors and inside the doors themselves seem dry.. any ideas folks??

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Re: Water pooling on front wheel arches!

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Probably the screen rubber. Try Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure. Depending on how bad, a little bit around the outside of the rubber will help/fix it.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

mellogecko

Post by mellogecko »

Cheers for that Tom!

ninja.turtle007

Sounds like a joke, but it is really good stuff. You should only need a small amount as a little goes a ling way.

mellogecko

Post by mellogecko »

Genuine Cheers that fella. The Starter Motor packed in today to, the LPG system was condemned by the AA... when i broke down the other week. So the rain has been my third strike... Looks great on my drive though! Thanks for the tip again.

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Am I the only one to notice the impossibility of rain pooling on the top of the inside arches from the windscreen rubber? :wink:

Take your door card off and check the integrity of the plastic door membrane. It's supposed to stop the rain coming in after it drops down the cab window scrapers

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

It has been parked sitting up and begging! :mrgreen: Either that or there has been some very hard horizontal rain!

I would try putting talc around the rubbers and playing a hose on the door - you will see if there is water getting in that way. The door may need adjusting in a little at the top.
If not as above.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ninja.turtle007

Cruz wrote:Am I the only one to notice the impossibility of rain pooling on the top of the inside arches from the windscreen rubber? :wink:

Take your door card off and check the integrity of the plastic door membrane. It's supposed to stop the rain coming in after it drops down the cab window scrapers

It runs around the rubber to the bottom corners. Where it rots through and runs down behind the dash. But as you say it could be the window scrapers.

My front screen rubber leaked after I fitted new one and there was no rust. Once I sealed it it was fine.

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Tom I know where the windscreen seals leak but the poster said water was 'on top of the arches' so that implies that water is coming in through the door because water from the windscreen cannot trickle down onto the cab floor then jump up the arch to sit near the seatbelt mount :wink:

I'd remove the door card and check the inner door membrane. Also spray the door with a hosepipe and you may see where it leaks

ninja.turtle007

Oops. I miss read it. Sorry. :oops:

mellogecko

Post by mellogecko »

It's a window scraper problem for sure now, new ones on the way. Ran a hose over the window, gave it a few minutes and 'hey presto' drips of water coming out of the bottom door vents!! Thanks all for you tricks and tips.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

It shouldn't do that - the plastic under the door card is to stop that happening - sort that out as you will always get some water run down inside.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

If the doors have speakers mounted, then many people cut the membrane to give clearance for the speakers but then water can get onto the door card and ruin it and also into the step footwell, which helps them rot through. If yours is like this, then you need to make a plastic shroud up that is glued to the membrane and surrounds the speaker so that water cannot bridge across the hole. 8)

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

You can get foam speaker baffles that they sit in

http://www.lkperformance.co.uk/Heat_and ... und/207469" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your speakers are mounted below the 1/4 light window at the top or bottom then these will stop the water that drips out of the hole in the bottom of the seal ruining your speakers as well as stopping the water running around the speaker an into the cab behind the door card. Also makes your speaker sound better