German plates ?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

German plates ?

Post by BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN »

German pressed plates - they were around in the 90's when i had a golf - but i think they got banned ? then i heard there was a way around it ?

so can you still get them ?
is there away around it ?
any one know ?

cheers B :wink:

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Re: German plates ?

Post by eatcustard »

No, there is no way around it.

Keep them standard or get nicked
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

bugger cos i really like the look of them and would suited the pannel :evil:

any other different plates/styles to make it look cool :?

cheers B :wink:

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN wrote:German pressed plates - they were around in the 90's when i had a golf - but i think they got banned ?

They were never legal, but plate manufacture/supply got cracked down on in 2001

then i heard there was a way around it ?

Mail-order plates "for show use only", or from Scotland/NI. Except that got cracked down on even harder a year or two ago.

so can you still get them ?

Yes, but they're still not legal.

Quick google for "German-style show plates" finds http://www.theplateman.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and others.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

Shame as they would be what i'm looking for,but if the old bill need another reason to take some money off joe public then they will :roll:

cheers all

B :wink:

callanish
80-90 Mem No: 5703

Post by callanish »

could i re register my westie in Germany to get the plates or would i have to go to the expense of having to move there
The older I get the better I was

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

callanish wrote:could i re register my westie in Germany to get the plates or would i have to go to the expense of having to move there

If you're UK resident, you've gotta have it registered in the UK. Which means it's gotta have UK-style plates on.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Post by CycloneMike »

You can get UK legal pressed metal plates, but not with the german font.
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

Epiphone
80-90 Mem No: 7754

Post by Epiphone »

In Germany they control car registration via the metal plate making process, as there is an official sticker that goes on the plates too. So you cant get one made up for your bedroom wall like in the UK.

The number plate printers are normally just round the corner to the registration office ONLY. So you do alot of walking around on registration day

If your numberplate falls off or gets nicked, then you have to go through the process of registration again, with a new sticker and new metal plate, but can still have same number etc.

stuffkez
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by stuffkez »

Plenty of places that sell them but a good alternative are the legal type ones try dubmeister . You could always get a set of show plates and some surrounds so that can be swapped easily . I've had german style pressed plates on my last two Wedges and never encountered any problems but both have been LHD .
They stopped all the mk3 mk4 golf crew driving into tatton last year for VW north west but I just removed my tax disc and cruised by with a jar of bockwurst on my dash :D

Like most mods you take a chance and bend the rules slightly don't get upset if the plod stop you and always carry your legal plates under your seat just in case !
Cheers Paul

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

It's all to do with the Big Brother type number plate recognition systen which the police use now. They can tell if you're insured, taxed, stolen, banned etc just by pointing their camera at your number plate.

I hate the nanny state but I'm all for anything that makes life easier for the old bill to get uninsured or banned drivers off the roads.

Plus it did get a bit silly a few years back with all the nobs driving around with italic number plates or strategically spaced lettering to try and make words that their number plates didn't ever resemble. :roll:
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/webshop/uk- ... al-plates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stuffkez

Post by stuffkez »

Cheers Paul

Aberdeenbus
80-90 Mem No: 6846

Post by Aberdeenbus »

BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN wrote:Shame as they would be what i'm looking for,but if the old bill need another reason to take some money off joe public then they will :roll:

cheers all

B :wink:

If only they got to make the laws as well as keep the money . . . lol I have to say that most fines should be classed as an optional stupitity tax.

sorry it just grips me a little when the Police get the crap for enforcing laws we all agreed to when we voted in a government.

as for ANPR nah thats just an excuse, it will read the phone number of the side of a van if its set up properly and will def read a set of Mock German plates.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WooooSaaaa
and breath out
:ok
Si
Last edited by Aberdeenbus on 25 Apr 2011, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

stuffkez

Post by stuffkez »

Stupitity tax now there's an idea :D
Cheers Paul