petrol octane

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Nathan Baker

petrol octane

Post by Nathan Baker »

Petrol octane

What octane are people runing in ther vans?

Iv had my van a year now and have been running premium fuel which i believe shooed be 93-95 octane. I am running a 2.1 injection motor which vw state shooed be run on 98 octane.
iv had problems with pinking but i advanced the timing and it has been a lot better and over the winter has been not a problem at all. However the first hot run up a steep hill of this year and theirs the pinking again.
I'm now running on 97octan and i am amazed at the power difference , the all round smoother driving and the cleaner starting.
But it still has a slit pink under heavy lowed. Im puting this dawn to the 97octane and not 98octan that it wants.

I'm thinking of running hi-octane in summer and low in the winter as the heat seems to effect it . Iv also considered fitting an inter cooler to coll the intake air.

I seem to be getting better mpg from the 97 octane.

callanish
80-90 Mem No: 5703

Re: petrol octane

Post by callanish »

I think about 98 octaine then think so far so good and put 95 in my 2.1 i runs fine and has for at least 3 years.....but i do sometimes worry about what i might be doing to the engine thingie.

Andrew
The older I get the better I was

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

2.1 injection should be 10 deg Before Top Dead Centre.
the V notch is on the pulley at the correct position, NOT the U notch that's TDC
If that is correct your post suggests the distributor is not advancing properly
Check the vac lines and centrifugal weights
suck on the vac pipe to see if the advance mechanism is working

Other reasons are ...
Inlet side air leaks weakening the mixture.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

kevtherev wrote:2.1 injection should be 10 deg Before Top Dead Centre.
the V notch is on the pulley at the correct position, NOT the U notch that's TDC
If that is correct your post suggests the distributor is not advancing properly
Check the vac lines and centrifugal weights
suck on the vac pipe to see if the advance mechanism is working

Other reasons are ...
Inlet side air leaks weakening the mixture.
Don't understand a word of that :lol:

I just chuck premium in. I've chucked 97 RON and 99 RON in - runs fine on both. Coughs like a seasoned smoker if I so much as consider putting bog standard unleaded (95) in - which I have had to on occassion due to a choice of that or diesel (Wales)
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Nathan Baker wrote:Petrol octane
I've had my van a year now and have been running premium fuel which i believe should be 93-95 octane. I am running a 2.1 injection motor which vw state should be run on 98 octane.
I've had problems with pinking but I advanced the timing and it has been a lot better and over the winter has been not a problem at all. However the first hot run up a steep hill of this year and theirs the pinking again
A few things best put in bullit points
1) If you get pinking you 'retard' NOT advance the timing.
2) VW state 98 Octane so you must have a 'DJ' 2.1 which has the highest compression ratio of 10.5:1 compared to the other 2.1's SS & MV which only run 9:1 compression.
3) The higher compression of the DJ produces more heat and so has a greater tendancy to 'pre-ignite' it's fuel especially when hot.
4) Higher octane fuel 'has a greater resistance' to knock/pre-ignite/pink as in... ignite the fuel BEFORE the spark and that is why it is needed in a DJ 2.1.
5) Higher octane DOES NOT MEAN more power BUT...as it resists pre-ignition, it will give the impression that your engine is running smoother/better, which obviously it is!
6) Running an engine long term with pre-ignition issues can produce all sorts of engine damage, these may include: burning spark plug electrodes, pitting and or melting of piston crowns or even holeing pistons.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx