Which Satnav

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

zak
80-90 Mem No: 11553

Which Satnav

Post by zak »

I just bought a Tom Tom start 62 SatNav and I find its useless in the bright light, cant see it at all so plan to take it back. My ancient Garmin is way better in the sun but out of date and small.

Which SatNav are you using and can you see the screen clearly in the sun - its here to stay for a while apparently 8)
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

moggymorgan
80-90 Mem No: 7655

Re: Which Satnav

Post by moggymorgan »

I bought a new Garmin with lifetime free updates.not the cheapest option but has lane indicator and speed limit change warning. Great bit of kit.
john & jenny
1979, cu devon.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

We have the Tom Tom Go 5100, life updates, Euromaps etc. Lane assist (which I dont really like that much), Live traffic updates (which is brilliant).
No problems with seeing it in bright lights. Very easy to use - although the voice command system is pants in the T3. Also, a bit dissapointed with the tom tom drive (phone and pc app), it is so very limited on what it can do (pretty much just enter a destination!) so I don't bother that either.

Had an old TT before and it was OK ,this does the job very well and have saved us from many hold ups
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by JonathanR »

I don't have problem with light, just adjust the angle. I've always had Garmins so can't compare with Tom Tom. My problem is eyesight and being able to read text. Current Nuvi playing up so have ordered a 7 in screen. Critical for me is full Europe mapping and lifetime updates. Although my age is against me I still appear to be out living my Garmins, but time will tell.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I think it's a case of buy the most expensive one you can afford.
I have a cheap garmin nuvi 62 in the van and find it gets confused easily at complicated junctions just when you need it most.
So when the wife wanted one for the car I said, don't get a Garmin, Tom-Tom reviews are good, lets try one of them.....
She got the Tom-Tom start "cos it was cheap" and I find it's really slow to update, hard to see in sunlight and gets confused at complicated junctions.

I think the satnav companies probably put more effort into developing the software for the expensive models and just throw any old pooh software into the cheap models.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

Well Amazon failed to deliver the 7" so wife not happy. But looking at my 5" (garmin) I noticed a setting for brightness. Mine set at 99%. Does Tom Tom have a hidden brightness setting?
Sorry for the innuendo but difficult to resist.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

My wife wouldn't be happy if i failed to deliver 7" either. Lol.
I'll check for brightness settings on her tomtom 7" when i go out to the car next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

Troopy
80-90 Mem No: 13711

Post by Troopy »

Does your phone come with one equipped?

My son uses his Galaxy S7 as a sat-nav and seems to serve him OK
1987 1.6 TD

Paz

Post by Paz »

I have just fitted a chinese android system into a couple of cars. Cost around 100 euros. Has its own navigation but I choose google maps as you can use all the android apps etc. Things like Torque are useful in my mx5 for example. So its sat nav plus whatever else you need it to be, bluetooth, radio, etc etc. I no longer see the point in sat nav only. I will consider these Chinese products for the T3. The same parts as samsung etc so don't be afraid :)

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

I use a Tomtom Go 5200, lifetime updates, world maps, connects to your home wireless network for updating so no plugging into computers, can get traffic updates thru your phone via bluetooth, but otherwise isn't reliant on phone signal or data. Only downside is the battery life is rubbish so needs to be plugged in most of the time. I used it to navigate me all around Europe and back over summer, down as far as Slovenia. Had no troubles, nice and easy to use...think I paid around £200 for it off Amazon.
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF