Steering cover - upper and lower - how do they fix in place?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HW182
80-90 Mem No: 0

Steering cover - upper and lower - how do they fix in place?

Post by HW182 »

Hi all,

I've recently picked up a T25 that was missing the plastic steering column cover (both upper and lower). I've since picked these up and am looking to fit but have a question.

do they just press fit together and hold in place or do you need fixing screws to hold it in place?

I ask as when i press fit it together it doesnt seem so secure (ie could 'pop' off whilst driving) - there appears to be 2 x screw holes in the lower plastic cover (but no-where for them to hold on to to secure it) and similarly theres another opening half way down the lower that looks like it could be a fixing point but again there's nothing to fix it to.

any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Betsy - 1988 T25 - 1.6 JX

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Steering cover - upper and lower - how do they fix in place?

Post by slowcoach »

Yes, two fixing screws into the lower half, which pass into the upper. Half way down the lower half should be a Terry clip, which clips around the metal steering column.

Pretty miserly parts on VW's part, more Weak fittings and cheap thin plastics :-\
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

HW182

Post by HW182 »

Thanks slowcoach - i would guess im missing the part the screws go into in the upper to secure it - i'll have to see if i can fix something on to pass it through to.

Out of interest, do you know what size Terry clip i'd need? If not no worries, there's a multipack at Screwfix with a variety of sizes - i'm sure i could make one of them fit.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

HW182 wrote:Thanks slowcoach - i would guess im missing the part the screws go into in the upper to secure it - i'll have to see if i can fix something on to pass it through to.

Out of interest, do you know what size Terry clip i'd need? If not no worries, there's a multipack at Screwfix with a variety of sizes - i'm sure i could make one of them fit.

sorry i dont know the size, but if you have it exposed (the column) then you can take a measurement. i think originally the terry clip was glued or something to the cowling? anyway mine had come off (actually just wrapped around the column and not atteched to the cowling anymore), so i drilled and riveted it back onto the plastic.

the screws are just self tappers, so if you do have the holes, maybe just gingerly put in slightly bigger screws and see if itll bite.
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

HW182

Post by HW182 »

All sorted, thanks for the tips slowcoach.

I managed to glue a small piece of wood inside the upper cowl on each side (as the part where the screws grip to was missing) and managed to screw into the wood.

For the lower cowl, a cable tie around the column - back through the hole and around a plactic packer did the job.