Lifting Engine and Gearbox

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Lifting Engine and Gearbox

Post by The Hairy Camper »

Hi people, as the title says i'm lifting the engine and (hopefully) gearbox next month.

I've bought myself a 2 ton crane/hoist and this engine leveller:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1650LB-750KG ... 2749.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Question number 1: Has anyone used this type of engine leveller before and do you have any advice on where to connect/bolt the chains to my engine? I'm lifting a 1.7KY Diesel.

2: I'm wanting to lift the engine and gearbox out together...Is this a ok (straight forward), or is it a pain?

Cheers.
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Lifting Engine and Gearbox

Post by 937carrera »

You might not want to hear this,but....

Why are you trying to lift the engine out..... normal method is to drop the engine out to the bottom. Either using ramps to raise the back of the van up and a trolley jack to take the weight of the engine, or if you are in a workshop, leave the engine on a trolley and lift the body out of the way.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

The Hairy Camper

Sorry carrera, thats exactly what i'm doing! I'm just using the "lifter" to take the weight of the engine! Then i can wheel it out from out underneath!

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Ah, that's OK then, I read your post too literally.

I haven't used one. Though I have an engine hoist I have always made do with ratchet / tie down straps (2te or 5te rating, not little poxy ones)

You can remove engine and box separately or together, your call

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

At the end of last year I had to drop out an engine with a Tiptronic box from a car (much heavier than T25)

I used two dollies, one either side, and a pallet which worked very well.

Ones like these https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p99817 200kg per dolly and only £12 each :!:

The Hairy Camper

Ratchet straps are an idea, i got told by an old mechanic yesterday not to try that though :lol:

Any idea of a good place to bolt the leveller to carrera?? I have one of those wooden dollys too :D

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

That's the problem I have always had with the leveller approach. It assumes you have sufficient accessible attachment points. More likely on cars with traditional layout, but as I have tended to be exposed to rear engined layouts much more I've never really used one. Even my hoist has only been used for moving heavy objects around. The issue with ratchet straps is that they can slip or be difficult to adjust. Not dropped an engine yet :)

You need two dollies, one either side which provide left / right support, and then a trolley jack in the centre which can be positioned to balance the assembly fore / aft.

Others might have different experience, i can only tell you what i have done :)

My first engines were dropped out with a single (small) trolley jack and some blocks of wood for balance and to avoid tipping. I have better kit today

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

easy to drop both together
trolley jack to support the gearbox, ideally with a home made board like the one there's plan for in the wiki so the jack is effectively attached to the gearbox so will follow the engine when you drag it out from under the lifted van
you'll want a dolly ideally for the engine but it can be done with some cardboard and some old carpet, you need to protect the sump as that is alloy and you don't want it going through the padding and carpet and you can then pull the carpet and everything should follow
two people is two sets of muscles and two sets of eyes
there are lifting points on the top of the engine, at the front by the timing cover and at the other end of the block, having some swivel type eyes helps but the chain doesn't want to be too long as you are limited on the lift by the aperture for the tailgate and maybe furniture when you take the weight before undoing the mounts and lifting the van/lowering the engine, lots of potential fouling points, exhaust, mounts, driveshafts
cable tie the gear linkage up once removed so it doesn't get caught on the floor when van is lifted lowered or moved

The Hairy Camper

Thanks for your input Aidan, much appreciated. I think i have seen the mounting points you mentioned on the 1Y Engine i have stood.

Do you think the the leveller i've just bought would be suitable for connecting to these mounts? Any idea what strength/type bolts i should use?
Leveller i have:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1650LB-750KG ... %7Ciid%3A1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was going to message you regarding gearboxes soon lol. I noticed you were on holiday at the moment though, so will try not to pester :lol:

Cheers.