Temporary shelter/garage

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Temporary shelter/garage

Post by ash1293 »

Has anyone got any experience of these relatively cheap portable garages found on ebay and the likes?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-G ... SwuUZamQYj

Toying with the idea of one so I can get out and work regardless of the weather. Mainly while prepping for paint, window seals etc and the possibly for the roller rustoleum job.

My drive is 3.1m wide so just wide enough in theory. Mines a high top but suspect it may just fit or certainly would if the legs were up on blocks.

Just not sure if its worth the hassle so would be keen to hear from anyone that has used one or just fancys chipping in an opinion.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Temporary shelter/garage

Post by jrt »

No experience of those ones but had a chat with someone who had one of these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/sheds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they said it was very good, even in the high wind. A bit more expensive.
David.
the future is unwritten

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

I started with this

Tried fixing this on top but it didn't work

Eventually built this on top. Made up of timber frames clad in visqueen then bolted together.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Thinking I may be better off looking for a carport due to width of drive etc. Neighbours fence is 5’ so would provide some shelter and if I needed to enclose the front a simple tarpaulin would do the job.

Just don’t fancy spending a huge amount of money that could be better off spent on the van.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

meggles

Post by meggles »

Hi Ash. Youngest son getting married this year. They're having two 'services' and a reception in someone's field!! He is buying some large gazebo's which he will be selling off cheap afterwards. I'll try to get a pic for you. They are well less than £100 I believe.

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Post by Slider2 »

I'm exactly in this position too.

My van needs stripping and chopping and I need the covered space to work in medium term.
I've looked at secondhand timber garages, sectional concrete garages and tent garages..... Would like to hear from others with first hand experience.....

I have a pop top and would probably want to remove powertrain as one of the first stages. Not sure he tents would have the height....

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

[quote="Slider2"]I'm exactly in this position too.

My van needs stripping and chopping and I need the covered space to work in medium term.
I've looked at secondhand timber garages, sectional concrete garages and tent garages..... Would like to hear from others with first hand experience.....

I have a pop top and would probably want to remove powertrain as one of the first stages. Not sure he tents would have the height....[/quote]

I bought a used carport from eBay, was pretty good I have to say.
There seem to be two varieties, this hadpoles pretty much the same diameter as scaffold poles, very strong steel.
The cover was plastic, decent strength.
Not totally waterproof, but very good in the wind.
Had to raise it on 3 breeze blocks so my high top would fit.
New on eBay are around the 180 Mark.

Eventually removed the roof to get the van into my garage as got too cold to work outside.
Good for short term/summer working though.

The machine mart ones seem to have better material.