Child’s buggy for use when away

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Child’s buggy for use when away

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Maybe someone has used a decent compact buggy for their child that is easily stored in the van whilst away.

My lad will be 18 months old when we go on our little tour of the UK and France this summer. The buggy needs to be compact but not too small as he’s a strapping lad already.

We love to get off the beaten track too so need something quite durable. Those off road type buggy’s look good but not very compact.

Has anyone used something that may do the trick?

Cheers, Jon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Dad
80-90 Mem No: 11860

Re: Child’s buggy for use when away

Post by Dad »

Smallest is quinny zapp, but rubbish off road. I used one in my lotus, how about a rucksack child carrier thing and a small buggy?
1990 autosleeper trident 1.9 lpg

bat
80-90 Mem No: 12385

Post by bat »

Don't Know if you've considered something like this,

Photo from one on eBay, not mine
Used one when my lad was young, topped quite a few peeks, it will certainly get you to places a buggy can't, big wheel or not.
The modern ones seem to be a bit over complicated to me.

Regards Gary

must learn to type quicker
Last edited by bat on 14 Mar 2018, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Sheila's & Gary’s long-term project. A 1988 RHD diesel Syncro camper van.
1900 tdi ahu, on 235-70-R16 wheels & tires, & a few other mods
https://www.thebeast.blog 

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Any buggy will limit you eventually. I'd say a woven wrap or ring-sling, or an ergonomic carrier is your best option. Try and do some research into carriers, and don't buy a high street one. (for the love of God don't get a baby Bjorn)

We have a Becco carrier that can be worn on your front,hip or back and is comfortable even with my 2.5 year old in. You may have a local group that has carriers you can borrow to try out
Last edited by chuckle-bus-tom on 24 Mar 2018, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
1986 2.1DJ on carb. panel van/Reimo camper / 1991 2.1MV Swedish syncro doka

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

When the kids were younger, we always used one of those 'umbrella' folding buggies. They fold up long and narrow, and you can usually get one at a boot sale for a fiver or so. Cheap enough to buy and leave in the car..
Here's one like it...
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7019692? ... gIwoPD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

I'd also recommend going down the baby rucksack route if you're fit. We took an offroad buggy (out'n'about) round Germany when our daughter was 6 months and it filled up the van, though wheels etc. do come off to help a bit. Year later went with an Osprey child carrier, which worked really well. More compact when not in use, no issues climbing stairs, rough mountain paths etc. Came with all the rain covers & shades, so weather not a problem, and daughter liked being higher up to see the world, though you generally end up with toy cars being driven over your head... Plenty of space left over underneath the seat for the days supplies as well - however, you will feel like the family donkey :) Not cheap, but we eventually sold ours at a baby sale for a good chunk of what we paid for it in the first place, so overall wasn't too bad.
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Tinium wrote:I'd also recommend going down the baby rucksack route if you're fit. We took an offroad buggy (out'n'about) round Germany when our daughter was 6 months and it filled up the van, though wheels etc. do come off to help a bit. Year later went with an Osprey child carrier, which worked really well. More compact when not in use, no issues climbing stairs, rough mountain paths etc. Came with all the rain covers & shades, so weather not a problem, and daughter liked being higher up to see the world, though you generally end up with toy cars being driven over your head... Plenty of space left over underneath the seat for the days supplies as well - however, you will feel like the family donkey :) Not cheap, but we eventually sold ours at a baby sale for a good chunk of what we paid for it in the first place, so overall wasn't too bad.
Glad you mentioned this. Saw my wife’s friend using one a year or so ago. Contacted her today and she said we can borrow it as she doesn’t want to sell; wants to keep it for her next child. Will have a practice to see how I managed. Might be a good reason to get into shape [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

bat wrote:Don't Know if you've considered something like this,

Photo from one on eBay, not mine
Used one when my lad was young, topped quite a few peeks, it will certainly get you to places a buggy can't, big wheel or not.
The modern ones seem to be a bit over complicated to me.

Regards Gary

must learn to type quicker
What is this mate? Can’t see the pic.

bat

Post by bat »

Sorry forgot to remove the S from HTTPS in the link.

Original now fixed.
Can't remove it in the quote, I think as the person posting that part you will be the only person (and possibly the Mods) able to E D I T that part.

Regards Gary

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Ah brill. Yeah defo going to try something like that, see how much hard work it is.

Karen&co
80-90 Mem No: 14854

Post by Karen&co »

We had the carrier like bat for our children, used it for all 4 then gave it away. Very comfortable, you can get rain covers for them or at least you could when ours were little. I've just bought one second hand for our grand son :)
If you think you can or you think you can't either way you'll be right

1.9 petrol Leisure Drive

bat

Post by bat »

Karen&co wrote:We had the carrier like bat for our children, used it for all 4 then gave it away. Very comfortable, you can get rain covers for them or at least you could when ours were little. I've just bought one second hand for our grandson :)

That's a photo lifted from E-Bay but I did have one very similar a long time ago.
Might still be in the attic (most things still are) so may get used again for our grandchildren, however, I think I’ll let their mum & dad carry them,

Regards Gary