Portable gas fire thermocouple? Provence model

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Portable gas fire thermocouple? Provence model

Post by maxstu »

For Provence portable gas fire heater. Calor Gas. Part required

It sparks on twisting control knob but will not ignite burner. New gas bottle too. However the burner will flame if l depress knob and use a match. But on releasing control knob flame slowly dies. So reckon l need to source a new thermocouple for our portable gas heater. Not sure what lm buying if l purchase a UNIVERSAL thermocouple though?

Any suggestions please?
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Portable gas fire thermocouple? Provence model

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Universal thermocouples are fine - just make sure that you buy one the correct length and keep the fittings from your current one as there isn't always the one you want amongst the new ones.
I always keep a couple spare in the workshop for central heating boiler, hobs, fridges etc having had one fail on my boiler late on xmas eve of all days.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Oldiebut goodie

Re-reading above - usually on most appliances you have to depress knob before twisting otherwise gas will not flow for the pilot. The pilot flame is the one that heats up the thermocouple not the main flames.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Hi OBG,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. So thermocouples are universal whether its a fridge, boiler or cooker etc? Just beware of the length required.
Yes, depress and turn 45 degrees to ignite pilot. Hold for 20 second for flame to catch and then turn knob another 45 for full heat. Pilot not staying alight at any point during this procedure ( followed from instruction label). But gas is getting to main burner.
So new thermocouple on the list.
Many thanks o' wise one :ok
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Try and get a nickel plated one. They withstand the higher flame temperatures of LPG, Propane & Butane.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

Oldiebut goodie

Seems to be more that the pilot jet is at fault rather than the thermocouple. Needs checking that it isn't blocked.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

captain Byrne wrote:Try and get a nickel plated one. They withstand the higher flame temperatures of LPG, Propane & Butane.

Nickle-plated it is. :ok
Last edited by maxstu on 10 Mar 2018, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Seems to be more that the pilot jet is at fault rather than the thermocouple. Needs checking that it isn't blocked.

Right. First port of call :ok
MaxStu

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

If you say the main burner lights when you hold the knob in, does the pilot also appear to be lit when doing so? If not, then as OBG says, the pilot needs stripping & cleaning. If the pilot does light, then it isn't initially lighting via the spark when you try & ignite it. Check the spark electrode is working, check the gap (3-6mm), clean the tip of the electrode carefully with emery. Clean the earth point on the pilot (where the spark grounds) & check the lead is connected at both ends & not shorting anywhere. Electrodes are delicate and break easily.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

captain Byrne wrote:If you say the main burner lights when you hold the knob in, does the pilot also appear to be lit when doing so? If not, then as OBG says, the pilot needs stripping & cleaning. If the pilot does light, then it isn't initially lighting via the spark when you try & ignite it. Check the spark electrode is working, check the gap (3-6mm), clean the tip of the electrode carefully with emery. Clean the earth point on the pilot (where the spark grounds) & check the lead is connected at both ends & not shorting anywhere. Electrodes are delicate and break easily.

Plenty of spark. No pilot light. And main burner only lights if ignited by an independent source....i.e.... a match, etc. But gas supply stops as soon as I release control knob, even if i constantly depress it for two minutes plus.

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

maxstu wrote:
captain Byrne wrote:If you say the main burner lights when you hold the knob in, does the pilot also appear to be lit when doing so? If not, then as OBG says, the pilot needs stripping & cleaning. If the pilot does light, then it isn't initially lighting via the spark when you try & ignite it. Check the spark electrode is working, check the gap (3-6mm), clean the tip of the electrode carefully with emery. Clean the earth point on the pilot (where the spark grounds) & check the lead is connected at both ends & not shorting anywhere. Electrodes are delicate and break easily.

Plenty of spark. No pilot light. And main burner only lights if ignited by an independent source....i.e.... a match, etc. But gas supply stops as soon as I release control knob, even if i constantly depress it for two minutes plus.

Regards
Stuart
As OBG suggests the pilot is blocked. Thermocouple probably ok.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Okay and thanks :ok
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

OBG & Captain Byrne,
Reporting back with good news. Cleaned out pilot jet in soapy water. Then rinsed through with clear water and dried with air gun. Re-assembled gas fitting and we are back in business. Nice blue constant pilot light flame and firing up on a push of the button every time. The pilot jet was chocked with dust.
But l also noticed spark was often arcing (prior to dis-assembly) on the side of the burner instead of across jet to thermocouple. So changed latter as a matter of interest. As noted above none of the universal fittings were any good. So cut a slot in original thermo nut fitting. Took out any burrs with a nail file and reused it. Jolly nice way to spend sunday morning while a snow blizzard rages outside :shock:
So a thousand thank yous to OBG & Cpt Byrne. May you live long and prosper. My glass is raised to you both.
Kindest and WARMEST regards,
Stuart
MaxStu

Oldiebut goodie

Sometimes a filter is used in the gas line to stop that dust - a filter for roll your own cigarettes fits nicely.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

[quote="Oldiebut goodie"]Sometimes a filter is used in the gas line to stop that dust - a filter for roll your own cigarettes fits nicely.[/quote]

Noted with thanks
:ok
MaxStu