Redex fuel additive

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Redex fuel additive

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Has any body got any negative points relating to adding Redex to fuel on either a regular or occasional basis. Heard it clears out engines and lowers emissions for MOT purposes, a well known bargain shop is selling 3 bottles for £6. ( B and M) Have put some in my old astra but not in my 1.9 DG T25 yet. Tks Tony
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Redex fuel additive

Post by itchyfeet »

Waste of money IMO
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Cordialement...

:ok

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Thanks, I should have posted Negative or Positive but grateful for responses. However can it do more harm than good,
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

To your pocket it can. :-)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

It won't do harm but probably not a noticeable improvement.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

Years ago, on an old car not a T25 probably my Lancia, I followed the recommendation to add a small amount into the top of each cylinder through the spark plug hole, leave it to soak a while then start the engine. The amount of smoke was impressive, my neighbour thought of calling the fire brigade!

The reasoning behind this episode was based on the assumption that adding it directly to the cylinders would help remove any carbon deposits and varnishing due to the higher combustion temperatures achieved due to the presence of the Redex.

I think there was a small improvement to the running of the engine but it had just been serviced at the same time too.

So if you like lots of smoke or want to annoy your neighbours give it a go.

This advice is posted purely for comedic reasons and in no way is a recommendation to follow any instructions implied!
( If you try it and it goes wrong don't blame ME)
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

nevill3 wrote:Years ago, on an old car not a T25 probably my Lancia, I followed the recommendation to add a small amount into the top of each cylinder through the spark plug hole, leave it to soak a while then start the engine. The amount of smoke was impressive, my neighbour thought of calling the fire brigade!

The reasoning behind this episode was based on the assumption that adding it directly to the cylinders would help remove any carbon deposits and varnishing due to the higher combustion temperatures achieved due to the presence of the Redex.

I think there was a small improvement to the running of the engine but it had just been serviced at the same time too.

So if you like lots of smoke or want to annoy your neighbours give it a go.

This advice is posted purely for comedic reasons and in no way is a recommendation to follow any instructions implied!
( If you try it and it goes wrong don't blame ME)

And to further add to the comedic value of the post: Redex was de rigour in my formative years to the point that it was available at most petrol stations for I believe, a penny a shot to be used at every refueling. Rather than risking oiled plugs It was common practice for people in our manor to remove the air filter and open the throttle with the engine running and pour a spoon full of Redex down the intake. Of course full throttle was required else the engine spluttered and died. The outrageous noise and clouds of smoke caused havoc on the forecourt as did the trail of smoke until it was burned out of the exhaust system. Would I do it now? not on your Nellie and nor should you. I would say that the posh fuels available at the pumps have similar claims but I believe that any benefits are lost in the margins. Four gallons of petrol and a pint of engine oil and still got change from a pound - those were the days :)
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

The smoke will be the redex rather than carbon deposits.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

BG44K is probably the better one to use rather than redex.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

300CE wrote:BG44K is probably the better one to use rather than redex.

Sorry to re-hash this thread. I don't use redex, as all it done as previous posters said smokes off.
However, I have used BG44K and Liqui Moly injector cleaner, in my other injected car and in my T25 (LPG) and I have noticed a difference on MPG and lower emissions.
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

the only snake oil I have found to work is Slick 50. I say this because when it first came out I actually had to readjust the tick over which sped up as the stuff worked it's way through the engine. I also did a lap of a motorboat race (highly tuned 1,600 cc Ford Kent cross flow engine) when the dry sump pipe fractured with no damage to the bearings. For some reason I dropped Slick 50 after awhile.
I caught a cold when Molyslip came on to the market when maybe by coincidence shortly afterwards the big ends came undone and wrecked my BSA A10 motorcycle engine.
More important to manage your engine temperatures and do regular oil and filter changes in my book.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX