Rear spare wheel carrier

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chewbacca
80-90 Mem No: 16186

Rear spare wheel carrier

Post by chewbacca »

Hi guys
I fancy a little winter project. I thought I might look at getting a rear mounted spare wheel carrier.
We had flat in the wife's car the other week and I decided a spare alloy for the bus sounded a good plan.
The costs of the off the shelf ones is nuts. I've got a welder so thought I'd give it a go.
So, looking for a little inspiration. I like the ones that swing out, they seem to make the most sense to me.
Anyone got any experience of these things?
Cheers for any input.
Jon
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Rear spare wheel carrier

Post by Jim San »

They are expensive.

Searching for second hand ones confirms the rarity of these things. Often used ones have parts missing etc. Also, certain designs cause panel deformation or have some other complication.

I had ideas to make my own but had really underestimated the scale of things. Tube bending for the size and gauge needed was the first real hurdle and sourcing a decent locking/latching system were the obvious ones.

When materials, time and all things considered, i opted for one of the expensive off the shelf items.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Post by Slider2 »

I'd have thought a drop down carrier at the back would be much easier to fabricate and have less chance of panel deformation and be far more reversible as it could all be custom bumper mounted.

If you wanted to spend a bit more you could go side hinged using one of those stub axle kits to be welded in a custom bumper. (US / AUS postal charges are the killer fort is solution though)

Of course you could always mount at the front under the steering. With a little work on the chassis rails you can get most normal diameter tyres under there. A custom plate under there would almost certainly be the easiest project!

https://10fronterasfotofurgo.wordpress.com

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

http://www.bak-rak.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

chewbacca
80-90 Mem No: 16186

Post by chewbacca »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Oddly enough I've been looking at the bak rack solution for things. Only drawback would be hiding the number plate and constant lifting whenever I want to open the back hatch. I've not given up on the idea yet though.

I definitely want the spare at the rear, I've plans for the existing front space, if I manage to move to an alloy spare.

I think as opposed to bending tubes, I'd buy elbows and weld. Need the practice anyways.
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Put up a wanted ad. They do turn up, in various guises. That's how I got mine.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD