Steering lock

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Steering lock

Post by sarahandthebear »

Just woundering if anybody has any suggestions for a good steering lock for the van or I was thinking of getting a peddle lock instead any or both :ok
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: Steering lock

Post by captain Byrne »

Iv'e got one of these. Takes all of 10 seconds to attach & remove & stores behind the seat when not in use.

1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

Looks perfect thanks I'll look into getting one I have a basic steering lock already but anything els to make it a job to get into will help
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

I also have a basic steering lock. They are ok as a visual deterrent, but are pretty easily removed. The clutch claw is a different kettle of fish, & whilst it can be removed, (no security device is 100% effective) it takes a lot of time, effort & determination to do so.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Clutch claw isnt as secure as a Safe -t- pedal from Shire Fabrications, which is much more sturdy. There are pics online of mangled Claws.
The Large size Disk lock only fits the factory PAS wheel or the early T4 2-spoke PAS wheel afaik.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

silverbullet wrote:There are pics online of mangled Claws.
Where?

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I find a red plastic key type battery switch with a 12 V siren connected across the terminals is less of a faff. Although I did have to connect my radio to the leisure battery to keep my channels tuned in.
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

When thinking about putting a security device disabling access to the pedals, there are two main considerations - the overall effectiveness of said device and the size, weight & convenience etc. Whilst the safety T pedal looks a lot sturdier and probably slightly more effective than the Clutch Claw, the device is huge and storage when not in use could be a real issue. It's for that reason that I prefer the Clutch Claw. It's extremely effective & slips in behind the seat when not in use. Also, despite trawling the net for pictures of 'mangled claws' as silverbullet suggest exist, I can't find any, and all reviews I've read put it heads above most other devices.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes another device in that ilk is a sleeve which locks over the handbrake lever.
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

I like the look of the Clutch Claw, I've been looking for something like that :ok
1983 DG Kamper 2

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

I have a Stoplock pro, and was thinking of bolstering with one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Hole-Stain ... 0011.m1850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have a battery cut-off with red key which is turned of when the van is not in use for a while.

End of the day if they really want it they will low-loader it away, it's all about visual deterrence in my mind :)
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

These are brilliant. Fit one of these plus a hidden switch that cuts off 12v feed to engine bay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-An ... SwdSNZ4OTT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

captain Byrne wrote:
Where?
I found this on Landyzone.co.uk with a quick google for "damaged clutch claw"Image

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

silverbullet wrote:
captain Byrne wrote:
Where?
I found this on Landyzone.co.uk with a quick google for "damaged clutch claw"Image

No offence but the picture refers to an article praising the effectiveness of the clutch claw. Here's the original posting: https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/2014/04/22/cl ... saves-day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's by a guy called Alan and the title of the article is " Clutch claw saves the day!" He says the following:

"Just wanted to show you how strong my clutch claw was. I do need a new one now but this delayed them long enough for the police to be called and my defender is still here"

Nice try, but anyone doubting the quality of this device should just google 'clutch claw reviews' and also take no notice of disingenuous posts.

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Post by JonB »

Clutch claw is a great piece of kit, had one for a few years now. I've still not worked out if it's easier to remove stood outside the van or sat in the drivers seat.

Winter is a particular challenge as even with the key I can spend a minute or so fumbling around in the dark with an arm through the steering wheel... I'd hate to have to try and break it off.
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire