towing

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tonic
80-90 Mem No: 0

towing

Post by tonic »

Hi Does anyone have any knowledge of towing a t25 with an A frame, i have been reading conflicting reports as to the legal requirements of this. Has anyone on here have access to a vehicle transporter! I need to get it from Essex to Herne bay in Kent would be willing to pay for the use of this type of vehicle. Was going to hire a trailer but found out my vw estate is not man enough. Any help with this move would be much appreciated. Thanks Tony

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Re: towing

Post by Porkscratching »

Hi Tony, if it's street legal, you could consider a motoring brakedown service (RAC etc). Haven't a clue about the distances involved but I've been towed using a hefty rigid tow bar. If you do consider this, give careful thought to time of day and route.

Regards, Max.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

rowlesy
80-90 Mem No: 1289

Post by rowlesy »

try getting a recovery service to do it for you. many will quote you on ebay. just dont pay anyone until the goods arrive
everytime you masterbate god kills a kitten! member 1289 does this still mean owt?

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

"A" frame must be linked to the braking system of the towed vehicle if it's over 750Kg.
and as far as i know is only legal for towing broken down taxed and tested vehicles.
Although you do see gin palace campers towing smart cars on an A frame.
You might get away with it if you're not going too far and can borrow a brake linked frame.
Total train weight/maximum authorised mass might be an issue too depending on the vehicle you're towing with.
I have an unbraked "A" frame that I tow my trike with occasionally but it's under 750Kg and is a roadworthy vehicle.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

Boldsailor
80-90 Mem No: 14829

Post by Boldsailor »

as far as i know is only legal for towing broken down taxed and tested vehicles.
Although you do see gin palace campers towing smart cars on an A frame

My understanding is also that if the wheels of the towed vehicle are on the ground then it must be taxed, insured and tested. As for the gin palace campers towing cars on an A frame then the requirement would still be that their braking system was linked to the towing vehicle, not necessarily physically linked. I had a camper in the USA for several years and towed a heavy Jeep Wrangler on an A frame using a device called a BrakeBuddy. It was basically a compressor running off the cigar lighter socket with a piston attached to a long arm to operate the brake pedal. It was positioned against the bottom of the driver's seat and the arm adjusted so that it was in contact with the brake pedal. An inertia switch detected the towing vehicle being retarded and operated the piston which applied the Jeep's brakes. It sounds all rather Heath Robinson but it worked, you could feel the brakes lock up on the jeep if the brakes on the motorhome were put on sharply. All cars being towed on A frames should have something like this or one of the more sophisticated systems connected to the brake hydraulics of the towed vehicle.
2.1 Syncro Tintop Camper

Tonkatoy
80-90 Mem No: 15228

Post by Tonkatoy »

Call this guy , fully insured , nice truck and Essex based, oh and good prices 07889100988

tonic

Post by tonic »

Hi Tonkatoy Thanks for info do you have the guys name, is he self employed. Many thanks Tony

Tonkatoy
80-90 Mem No: 15228

Post by Tonkatoy »

Sorry can't remember his name, yes he runs his own business mainly delivering high end sports cars but will fit this sort of job in no problem, he is knowledgeable about cars and I would be happy to buy a car blind on his say so let me know how you get on

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

You can upload your request to Shipley.com and all the couriers bid and compete for your business. Electronic deposit payable, normally followed by cash on delivery.

Example: T25 single cab carried from Leeds to Reading @ £214

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

tonic

Post by tonic »

Hi tonkatoy Hired a 4 wheeled trailer and picked camper up today <Sunday>. Picked it up from Braintree and brought it to Sunny Herne bay. Its a G reg, so guite late registered oct 89 which seems to make it a 1990 model. It is a tin top with twin sun roofs and twin passenger seat. It has some body issues, of course, but does have very clean doors and tailgate plus a very clean front panel, this i see as a bonus. It has been fitted with 3 side windows with rust issues round one of them. It has a lapsed mot, but only by 5 months it looks really clean underneath. At the moment all i can see it needs is the exhaust welding which after i good clean up i will get around to. Tony

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I've looked into this again.....

from this- https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ollies.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

assuming a gvw for the towing van of 2390Kg
and an ULW of the towed van of 1395 (without a heavy camper interior)
plus a generous allowance for the A-frame weight of 50kg.
Max trailer weight for a 2wd T25 is 1500KG (so you have 105Kg to include A frame and contents of towed van, not much :shock: )
total train weight is therefore 3835KG or so depending on interior.

then....
if you passed your test before 1997 then you can legally tow this combination as long as the towed van brakes are either linked to the towing van brakes or have an inertia system fitted.
If you passed your test after 1997 then you would need to have passed a trailer test in order to legally tow it.

On a separate note-
Has anyone any experiances of articulated/steered/ackerman trailers, the ones where the front wheels steer, on uk roads?
We use one around the site at work and I've become a dab hand at reversing it with the forklift, but are they actually legal/usable on the road?
Split case club member.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

So for the sake of clarity: the act of towing an unroadworthy, unbraked & untaxed project T3 to a show on an A-frame with another T3 camper would be an illegal activity?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Yes, this theoretical situation would be illegal unless the project weighed under 750Kg. :rofl
Split case club member.