Storage

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hagg1s
80-90 Mem No: 0

Storage

Post by hagg1s »

Hi all,

As the winter weather is now fast approaching, I was just looking for a qeneral consensus on where/how you guys keep your T25's over the coming season?

Having had a poke around on the web, I can only find advice from general 'classic car' type forums/articles (unless I'm 'man looking'!) and those guys tend to park their pride and joy inside and leave them alone until spring. I'd still be looking to use the van for the odd weekend away on those good winter weekends we sometimes get...

For keeping the rust at bay, is still best to try and keep them inside a garage/storage unit or are they relatively hardy and ok to be left on the drive? I know covers can be a controversial topic but if outside storage is the only option (likely looking at the cost of local indoor storage with decent access :shock: ), is it best to invest in a good quality, breathable, fitted one or leave the van open to enjoy the elements?

Thanks

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Re: Storage

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Waxoil the underneath, wax the top and keep on using it.
1986 2.1DJ on carb. panel van/Reimo camper / 1991 2.1MV Swedish syncro doka

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

what is this season you speak of?

its just coming up to the best half of the year for camping, ,now the shed draggers and van polishers have took all the wheels off......

use it, its a transporter not a push bike!!
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

During the winter I use mine occasionally and it is parked outside. Underside, door and tailgate cavities protected with Dintrol and the body waxed. The rear vents are blocked with magnetic sheet to prevent water collecting in the engine air boxes and these are also waxoiled. Because I have a slight leak from the windscreen I purchased a front windscreen/door window cover for £30.00 off EBAY. Being nylon it does a great job of preventing the leak into the cab floor and also stops rain getting into the door bottoms even though they have been waxoiled.

Dry storage is great if you can get it at a reasonable price but with some winter prep and and using it occasionally it should survive the winter ok.

Wet salty roads and my van stays at home....... :D
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

Use it. Love getting out in winter. Just wash it more often.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I'll be driving mine the 90 mile round trip to my mates garage and back several times to do some work on it, rain or shine or snow, I'll probably do a 50 mile round trip most sundays too. If it's frosty and there's salt on the roads I'll give it a hose down after. It'll sit on the drive when not being driven. If it can't survive that I might as well sell it. :rofl
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

hagg1s
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by hagg1s »

So it sounds like using it, with a bit of prep, is the best option. Great news.

Thanks guys, clearly over thinking it!