Fitting a VW Speed Shop Stainless Exhaust

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AllTheGear_NoIdea
80-90 Mem No: 16092

Fitting a VW Speed Shop Stainless Exhaust

Post by AllTheGear_NoIdea »

I haven’t had my 1988 Caravelle GL very long and now that I have fixed my cutting out on idle problem. It desperately needs a new exhaust, it has been patched up by the previous owner with Gum Gum in several places and is now blowing really badly.

I have bought a VW Speed Shop Stainless Exhaust which I am trying to get put on, but I’ve taken it to two different garages near where I work but both said they wouldn’t risk it getting the old one off as the studs and nuts are rusted away and the likely hood of snapping a stud was to great a risk.

I am thinking about having a go my self and buying plenty of PlusGas and a propane blow torch but am not sure I want to risk it too.

So can anybody recommend or has had the same done by someone / garages preferably near to Wokingham, Berkshire or Twickenham, South West London areas that would be able to get the old exhaust off and fit the new one?

Or should I just brave it and have a go!
1988 Caravelle GL 2.1 WBX Dj Auto

1978 Baywindow 2.0 Aircooled type 4 CU

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Fitting a VW Speed Shop Stainless Exhaust

Post by R0B »

Pity you didn't buy a brickwerks one.They are a copy of the original,that way you would only need to replace the knackered parts.Removing the bolts can turn into a nightmare.If your garage are not willing to do it for you,chances are one or more will snap if you do it yourself.If i was you i would consider replacing your rotten bits with standard steel parts,and consider selling your S/S one.Good luck with it whatever you do..
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

AllTheGear_NoIdea
80-90 Mem No: 16092

Post by AllTheGear_NoIdea »

Thanks, but they are rusted through and blowing on the manifold pipes coming out of cylinders 1 & 3 at the bends at the lowest point of the system, where I suppose they are most exposed to the elements.

I have now just re-bodged what the previous owner did and slapped a load of Gum Gum on them, but I don't think it will last long.

Thinking of buying a propane torch and maybe seeing what i can do, doing it slowly and carefully.
1988 Caravelle GL 2.1 WBX Dj Auto

1978 Baywindow 2.0 Aircooled type 4 CU

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

my brother replaced his knackered exhaust with a shiny stainless one and snapped of 2 studs,so nows a much bigger job,he also tried other garages but they wouldn,t touch it.By the sounds of your exhaust you don't have a choice but replace it.

Daisy
80-90 Mem No: 4298

Post by Daisy »

Have a word with Steve at Gasure http://www.gasure.co.uk/ then if he can help you plan a trip up to Chester it will b well worth the trip. Good luck whatever you do.
You`re only meant to blow the bloody doors

T25- you were only supposed to weld the bloody sills

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

I know it doesn't help but I recently got a quote from a Longlife centre - it was Tony Banks in Leeds.
£549 complete stainless system fitted.

As yet I'm undecided but I thought it was a reasonable price considering the reputation the T25 system has for fitting.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

The easiest (less painful, but slower) way to tackle this job is to drop the engine and box as one unit, slide it out and work on it in the open air.
Sounds like a nightmare but its a lot easier when you can get to the nuts and bolts with no risk of cutting something else, or yourself!
Unless you have a dremel and you want to try and cut all the nuts off in situ on a hot engine (heat can make the bolts easier to remove from the heads)
Access to a propane gas lamp or and induction heating kit (may be available for hire by now) and/or a set of excellent Irwin Nutbusters and you give yourself a fighting chance.
PS I love the speedshop exhaust, so easy to fit and really quiet. Requires a shorter oil filter too, the subject of some discussion...

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk