Urgent advice needed

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Suki
80-90 Mem No: 0

Urgent advice needed

Post by Suki »

Hello from a first time T25 1984 angled pop top owner. My very first camper van and I absolutely love her....So over excited, after spending two days cleaning and scrubbing inside and out ready for my first trip, I started off and went straight to the petrol station to fill up....and yes, you know what's coming don't you? The fatal school boy error that I am so squirmingly embarrassed to admit..... 'What's this?' I gesture to the cashier, the pump doesn't fit the nozzle....so 73p"s worth of petrol later, you guessed it, I was trying to fill the water tank with petrol.....Ouch!!! OK, laugh, groan, whatever! I need some advice here please guys. It was an empty tank, only a very small amount of petrol went in, the pump/tap have not been operated so I'm hoping it can be drained and cleaned somehow? Anyone got any good practical advice?
Many thanks,
Suki

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Urgent advice needed

Post by Mocki »

Washing up liquid boiling water many times and then after you have filled and refilled several times like that all without using the tap a mild bleach solution and you may get away with it

Anymore than 1/2 a litre of petrol and you would be and still maybe into a new tank
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Plastics tend to take up the smell of petrol permanently. as Steve says, you might be lucky.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Suki

Post by Suki »

Ok, thank you for posting.

Suki

Accessing on board water tank on pop top 1984

Post by Suki »

Hi, can anybody help? I need to gain access to the on board water tank in order to drain and clean it without using the tap in the sink. I am not sure exactly where it is or how to access it. I think it is housed behind the cupboards under the lifting work top towards the back of the drivers side. I have unscrewed some of the screws in the surrounding units but I'm not sure if I am on the right track, or whether it is even possible to drain it if I do manage to gain access. Will it have an accessible bung underneath that can drain the tank? And will I be able to wash the tank out?
Thanks
Suki

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Post by Porkscratching »

If you post up the model of your van then there should be good folk on here with the same. I'm afraid it's not a case of one size fits all. Not all tanks have internal access.

Regards, Max
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

Suki

Post by Suki »

Thanks Max, it's a T25 Transporter 1984 1915cc side tilting pop top converted by viking space saver.
Thank you, hope someone can help....

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

This is the tank that I took out of my Viking.

It was located just ahead of the rear offside wheelarch, beneath the cupboard with the lift up top and behind the cupboard with the drop down flap.

Here's a photo of the space it left when I removed mine.

I think you'll find it very hard to remove without dismantling a lot of cupboards. You could consider disconnecting the outlet hose (shown bottom left in my first photo) from the sink pump (at the pump end, as the tank end will be quite inaccessible in situ), and connecting up a garden hose so that you can direct it out of the van.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Suki

Post by Suki »

Thanks for your advice and photos CJH. Mine is exactly the same as yours, managed to remove the tank by dismantling some cupboards. Gave it a good flushing out and put it back, though if I hadn't been on holiday I would have been inclined to just replace the tank. I don't plan on using the water for consumption anyway so I think I may have just got away with it!
Many thanks.
Ps....I'm totally in love with my T25!