Bus, Caravelle, Camper etc. What are the differences?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Bus, Caravelle, Camper etc. What are the differences?

Post by bmouthboyo »

As the title really.

I have what is in the V5 as a Transporter PLG however on the rear it has a BUS badge which I guess could have come with a replacement rear tailgate at some time.

Could anyone point to me a explanation of the differences? And how I can identify which mine is?

My heater housing does not have the bottom open to blow air to the rear and I have no obvious runner marks on the floor for rear bench style seats, not sure if that makes it easier?

It was originally a 1983 DG Engined panel van that was converted by Autosleeper.

1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Bus, Caravelle, Camper etc. What are the differences?

Post by multisi »

The last line of your post says it all. It was a basic Transporter panel van now its a camper.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

you answered your own question...... however, you also raised a point you look into .....

the V5 as a Transporter PLG.............. DG Engined panel van that was converted by Autosleeper

your V5 , if does not say something like " rigid bodied motorcaravan" you are restricted to commercial vehicle road speed limitations,and could easily be caught out by ANPR and speedcameras for driving above the commercial vehicle speed limit even if you are under the signed speed restrictions....
On dual carriageways where a saloon car , caravelle or "motorcaravan" may be driven at 70mph, a commercial van, being a goods vehicle and not a "car derived van", is restricted by its class to a speed limit of 60mph. * The speed limit for goods vehicles not exceeding 7.5 tonnes is 60mph on motorways if the vehicle is articulated or towing a trailer.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

Mocki wrote:you answered your own question...... however, you also raised a point you look into .....

the V5 as a Transporter PLG.............. DG Engined panel van that was converted by Autosleeper

your V5 , if does not say something like " rigid bodied motorcaravan" you are restricted to commercial vehicle road speed limitations,and could easily be caught out by ANPR and speedcameras for driving above the commercial vehicle speed limit even if you are under the signed speed restrictions....
On dual carriageways where a saloon car , caravelle or "motorcaravan" may be driven at 70mph, a commercial van, being a goods vehicle and not a "car derived van", is restricted by its class to a speed limit of 60mph. * The speed limit for goods vehicles not exceeding 7.5 tonnes is 60mph on motorways if the vehicle is articulated or towing a trailer.

Unfortunately I am aware of this after the wife for a speeding ticket via camera in this a few years ago and only recently out 2 and 2 together as to why.

I will be getting the V5 changed to campervan and also updating the engine as it has not had the DG for 25 years! However I am mid restoration with the inrerior stripped out. The requirements to change clarification as for pics of bed, cooker etc so until it's all back in I cannot update :(
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion