Towing a small van (on an A frame) on a T25

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Towing a small van (on an A frame) on a T25

Post by hightop ratty »

Is it possible to get a kit to tow a small van (older Fiat Scudo) using a fixed A frame (ie one of the properly fixed to the vans type like motor homes use to tow a small car, not the chains on an A frame type - they scare the hell out of me !)

The main reason for this is we sometimes take 2 vehicles to shows - our camper to sleep in / cook (& the nice cold fridge), and our Fiat Scudo van for carrying our stock for our http://www.camperandbeachgifts.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; pop up shop.

This would assist as only 1 lot of fuel being used (all be it the camper will use (even) more towing), saves the stress of driving in tandem, (only 1 Severn bridge toll coming home ?), & if the Mrs is tired after a weekend on the stall, she can have a snooze in the passenger seat of the camper on the way home.

Also what is it like towing with a T25 (2.1 petrol) high top, as I read somewhere on another forum about weight distribution issues due to the engine being the back of the camper.
Last edited by hightop ratty on 08 Aug 2017, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Re: Towing a small van (on an A frame) on a T25

Post by Porkscratching »

Hi ratty, I have an old style Mini Pickup 95. Had an A frame made up especially for it. I know I've only got a 1.6 diesel but by heck, you really knew it was there. I don't tow it anymore, I can't be sure but it may have contributed to the failure of my gearbox. I for one am no longer prepared to chance it. Others may disagree though.

Max.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

is it even legal?

seems a grey area but what isn't grey is a trailer needs brakes over 750kg so that rules out all but very small cars afaik
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

I'm confused why you don't just tow a box trailer instead?
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

hightop ratty
Trader

Post by hightop ratty »

Thanks for the replies.

I thought we may be on a sticky wicket - you can get a brake assist thing that can brake remotely in the towed vehicle.

I've thought about a box trailer (lack of storage space is our main problem) - we use the Scudo for day shows & more local events, and always handy having a van available without wrecking the camper interior (hence have the 2nd van).

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

In my experience T25's tow fine, they are basically a van and vans tow all sorts of stuff! Now these are old school so its not like towing with your latest 2.5Tdi Ducato or the like, but no reason why towing should destroy the vehicle if done sensibly. IIRC the towing capacity on our vans is about 2100kg but it is probs in the wiki somewhere.

Towing on a "proper" A frame, as per the motorhome example, is perfectly legal but has to be done properly. Lots of info on the A Frame resellers like http://www.caratow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - needs to have linked brakes (cable to brake pedal) and "trailer lighting" via board or link to cars lights. There are rules that often get ignored/not understood that can confuse, e.g. most of those "A" frames you see that lift the front two wheels of the ground of the towed cars, aren't legal :)

HTH

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

hightop ratty
Trader

Post by hightop ratty »

Cheers for the link to the supplier - Yes that is the type of thing i'm looking for :-)

The Scudo van (couldn't afford to even consider the similar size caddys due to the vw tax), & to be honest most newer caddys are pretty ugly (not that the scudo will win any beauty prizes :-)

Our Scudo is vinyl wrapped to advertise the business as well - so hopefully will attract attention (hopefully not the wrong kind from PC Plod), when being towed (as well as around locally :-)

thebobster
80-90 Mem No: 8953
Location: Liverpool. 2.1 DJ engine.. LPG by Gasure. Magic Zoom (Blos) by Campershack.

Post by thebobster »

On consulting page 141 of the VW T25/T3 instruction manual, the maximum permitted trailer weight for your 2.1 petrol van (unless it's a Syncro) is 1500 kg.
(Syncro would be 2000 kg)
Looking at Fiat Scudo specs the unladen weight of your Scudo is 1661 kg minimum.

Without carrying anything to sell, fuel in the tank or adding the weight of the drawbar itself, the maximum permitted trailer weight (except if a Syncro)is already exceeded.

Back to the drawing board I think. :idea

hightop ratty
Trader

Post by hightop ratty »

Thanks for simple & straight forward answer the bobster - the weight of the scudo knocks my slightly hair brained scheme out of the water really then (i've got a lowered factory high top - would love a syncro, & doka's are really floating my boat at the moment (dreaming up a nice frame that either attaches to a frame on the rear, or attaches to & folds out from the pick up bed into a big trading stall - (a bit like our pop up gazebos work, but far cooler old skool style :-)

I know it sounded a bit mad - but could have solved (or at least reduced) a problem in taking 2 vehicles to a show or cramming into 1 (the scudo if I go by myself) - the back of the scudo is great to sleep in - sleeping across the front 3 seats is cramped if all the stock is in the back (or we have a huge drive away awning - but it's a 2 man job putting up - & I ain't sleeping in a small tent on the floor any more - i'm getting too old (was brought up on camping in the Boys Brigade, but we've moved on a few decades now !).

If the Mrs & our junior dubber are in tow the scudo is great (but can't help thinking - i've got a lovely hi top camper at home, & we're slumming it in the back of a smallish van (so taking both would be ideal, but costly in fuel & hassle / stressful if the trouble & strife has to drive as well as she's tired after a weekend trading anyway) - we wouldn't change it for the world though as it gets us out & about after working at home all week, & we get to meet loads of amazing vee dubbers on our journeys which makes it all worth while ;-)

I suppose the sensible option would be to buy a Crafter or LT 40 or something & combine both - but we're attached to Ethel our T25 camper (it's been a journey :-), and the scudo is ideal for smaller one day shows (& they fit on the drive better than a big old thing).

Back to the drawing (dreaming) board it is then :-)