Mud flaps, leisure battery, re-sealing and GRP repair.

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Izzi
80-90 Mem No: 0

Mud flaps, leisure battery, re-sealing and GRP repair.

Post by Izzi »

Hi all......Just want to pick your brains, if I may........ I own a 1986 2 berth Kameo T25.

Firstly, could anyone please tell me where i can get a decent set of front mud flaps? I bought a pair that were the rigid plastic type. I had to return them they were rubbish. My rear mud flaps are rubber, not plastic.

Secondly, my leisure battery has died. I cannot find anything small enough to fit under the passenger seat. My van has a swivel bracket fitted to the seat which makes the recess even smaller. The recess measures 300 wide x 160 deep x 180 high.

Thirdly, my van has a fibreglass high roof. The original sealant has hardened and in some places along the guttering the fibreglass has delaminated from the sealant. I know the best way to fix this is to take the roof off but I don't have the facilities to do this nor can I afford to pay someone to do the job. The way I see it there are one of two options. Either to remove the carpeted panels and re-seal from the inside or fill the gutters with something like sikaflex 221. There are areas along the guttering where the gap between the fibreglass lip and the gutter is just enough to allow for the gutter trim to fit. My thinking is to trim the fibreglass lip enough to get a nozzle in and then fill the gutter with sealant. I would appreciate some advice on this before I go ahead tho. I don't want to do anything that I may later regret.

Fourthly, the fibreglass needs a little bit of repair work here and there, especially along the lip that sits in the gutters. (See pic). I've never done fibreglass repair before and would appreciate some pointers. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Izzi

Re: Mud flaps, leisure battery, re-sealing and GRP repair.

Post by Izzi »

I'm trying to attach pics but the file size is too big.........watch this space. :)

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

For the leisure battery all is covered in the Wiki I think.....http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... s_that_fit
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

GoWesty have the best mud flaps IMO, but you'll need to pay a customs charge to get them into the UK.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=3057" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

Izzi

Post by Izzi »

nevill3 wrote:For the leisure battery all is covered in the Wiki I think.....http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... s_that_fit

thanks for that. Very comprehensive link.
:ok

Izzi

Post by Izzi »

[quote="DoubleOSeven"]GoWesty have the best mud flaps IMO, but you'll need to pay a customs charge to get them into the UK.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=3057" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quot

Thanks for that info. Had a look at the website. Seems they sell the rigid plastic type only. Is there anywhere you know of where I can get the rubber type? even second hand?

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/mud-flap-kit-t3-front.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

as far as I know the mudflaps from JK are VW south Africa I have had a set on for about 6 years and no problems,fit good and look good imho
Nil carborundum illegitimi

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

scottbott wrote:as far as I know the mudflaps from JK are VW south Africa I have had a set on for about 6 years and no problems,fit good and look good imho

They are, and better protection stops that gravel rash on the wheelarch edge.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

marlinowner

Post by marlinowner »

Interestingly my South African van has rubber mudflaps fitted to the wheelarch.

Izzi

Post by Izzi »

Thanks mate. Checked them out. Bit pricey but think I'll just bit the bullet and go for it. Don't like the plastic ones at all! Have you got them on your van?

marlinowner

Post by marlinowner »

Photo of my mudflap above, I assume its original South African, its different to the ones sold by Gowesty and JK, being rubber, not plastic, also bigger, but moulded to the wheel arch like the plastic ones.