Imperial or metric?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Daisy
80-90 Mem No: 4298

Re: Imperial or metric?

Post by Daisy »

1949 vintage here, and now work almost entirely in metric, so much simpler than imperial, although if necessary I can go old school but can`t see the point.
About time this country came out of the past :ok
You`re only meant to blow the bloody doors

T25- you were only supposed to weld the bloody sills

bat
80-90 Mem No: 12385

Post by bat »

Daisy wrote:1949 vintage here, and now work almost entirely in metric, so much simpler than imperial, although if necessary I can go old school but can`t see the point.

And post in binary :D

Sorry couldn’t resist no offence intended.

Regards Gary
Sheila's & Gary’s long-term project. A 1988 RHD diesel Syncro camper van.
1900 tdi ahu, on 235-70-R16 wheels & tires, & a few other mods
https://www.thebeast.blog 

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Daisy wrote: About time this country came out of the past :ok

Like buying a modern van and not clinging onto an old rusty gas guzzler you mean?
:D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

bat wrote:
Daisy wrote:1949 vintage here, and now work almost entirely in metric, so much simpler than imperial, although if necessary I can go old school but can`t see the point.

And post in binary :D

Sorry couldn’t resist no offence intended.

Regards Gary[/q

No offence taken :ok and yes it does contain two things

[

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

itchyfeet wrote:

Like buying a modern van and not clinging onto an old rusty gas guzzler you mean?
:D
quote="itchyfeet"]

:D[/quote]

That depends on your perspective as far as I am concerned running well maintained older vehicles is far more ecologically sound, as the older vehicle has long since repaid its manufacturing carbon footprint.

Unlike a newer car which may well not be around long enough to rust, and it will probably never repay it`s manufacturing carbon footprint.

By the way my Van runs on LPG which will go some way toward improving its emissions compared to petrol or diesel, I am not yet decided whether I want to convert my classic mini`s to LPG as they are already pretty frugal in the fuel stakes and again have repaid there manufacturing carbon foot print.

All this means that I need metric and imperial tools, that should bring the thread back on topic :wink:

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Use both and in my job , machining parts I can sometimes be asked to machine a bore 1thou " above top limit which will be in metric , makes life interesting :roll:
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Decimal inches is the one that always seems strange
used heavily in electronics in the past and still used.

Components had pitches of 0.1 of an inch or 2.54mm
or say a connector with a 0.15 inch pitch or 3.81mm

Years ago before CAD I used to.lay out printed circuit boards on clear film using tape on a scale of 4 to 1and photographed on huge walk in cameras where the scale was reduced back to 1 to1
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

While being happy to work with the metric standards in my CAD and solid modelling before I retired from Aerospace engineering, virtually all of my hobby workshop equipment has imperial calibration and much of my stock of materials, fixing etc, having been scrounged, donated or just hoarded from better times, is imperial in dimension. However my projects gradually become metric as imperial stuff runs out. :(

In my Imperial equipped workshop I use the metric system for machining relying on the use of digital measuring equipment and largely ignoring the imperial calibration scales converting using my digital Vernier age if say skimming to diameter on a lathe.
My good friend however, being a retired toolmaker, foolishly in my opinion, irritatingly insists on converting on the fly using a little book of tables and only too often buggers up a job on the last knockings by trying to be too clever. :roll:

I do find however that the metric system falls short in the field of special to purpose thread sizes etc i.e. Cycle threads for instance where some thread pitches for instance seem to me to be too coarse. but maybe this is just the influence of Value (cheap) Engineering.

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Pretty much imperial except for sockets. I use fahrenheit for high temperatures an centigrade for low, makes it more interesting.
Honorary "Dave" 

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Feet and inches (and shillings and pence) are sensible because base 12 is better than base 10. ie a foot can be divided by 2,3,4 and 6 to give a whole number of inches. Which is why buns are sold by the dozen.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Born Too Late
80-90 Mem No: 14236

Post by Born Too Late »

Only noticed today, the 2 height restriction barriers in the car park for Uncle Toms Cabin on Southend seafront are different - one on the left is feet and inches and the one over the other side is in metric.

Can't really complain as I use a mixture of both depending what I'm doing or sometimes who I'm talking to. I'm of a 1978 vintage and I seem to remember senior school being all about the metric and trying to squeeze out any imperial knowledge we'd carried over from the 80's.
Ziggy Starbus-1988 Autosleeper high top 2.1 injection
Lola-1977 Triumph Spitfire