Tailgate fitting

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AJG T25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Tailgate fitting

Post by AJG T25 »

Hi will a early tailgate fit a late T25

craigy345
80-90 Mem No: 13029

Re: Tailgate fitting

Post by craigy345 »

AJG T25 wrote:Hi will a early tailgate fit a late T25

Yes, changed mine late for an early one.
Just beware the lock aperture and lock is different, meaning you can't just swop the locks over.
You either will end up with a separate key for the tailgate (the early lock) or
do what I have done, re-key the early lock with the wafers from your late lock then you will still have the same key.
VW T25 1.6TD (JX) 1987 Westfalia Club Joker

AJG T25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by AJG T25 »

Excellent :D

blakeys80
80-90 Mem No: 15374

Post by blakeys80 »

Ive been wondering this myself, as I have a later tailgate to fit to ours. So if I remove the lock from my current early one, will I just have to replace the later lock with the early internals?

Thanks

1981 LHD 2.0l CU with Twin Solex setup.

craigy345

Post by craigy345 »

blakeys80 wrote:Ive been wondering this myself, as I have a later tailgate to fit to ours. So if I remove the lock from my current early one, will I just have to replace the later lock with the early internals?

Thanks

Hi,
Yes.
Remove both locks from their doors and strip down.
This involves removing a split pin on both locks (on the early one the lock needs to be unlocked to access the split pin)
The wafers of both locks are the same I.e the respective cut heights of the key are also the same.
The difference in the locks is the outer body.
Hope it helps ?
Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blakeys80
80-90 Mem No: 15374

Post by blakeys80 »

Great stuff, and much appreciated. I don't have the key to the later lock so glad its not needed!
It's been stored up for a while and I can't get to just now, but other than the locks, are there any other differences in fitting/looks etc ? I bought it along with a pass + driver's door last yr already sandblasted so have forgotten a little. I seem to remember the later one looking more rounded in the lower part, then again could be my dodgy imagination!

1981 LHD 2.0l CU with Twin Solex setup.

craigy345

Post by craigy345 »

blakeys80 wrote:Great stuff, and much appreciated. I don't have the key to the later lock so glad its not needed!
It's been stored up for a while and I can't get to just now, but other than the locks, are there any other differences in fitting/looks etc ? I bought it along with a pass + driver's door last yr already sandblasted so have forgotten a little. I seem to remember the later one looking more rounded in the lower part, then again could be my dodgy imagination!

Yep your lucky there, I was doing it the opposite way around and didn't have a key for a seized early lock that I then needed to pick open - Not easy!!!!

When you get around to it - give me a shout if you need help/assistance I think I still have some photo's (not all coved in wiki)

The size and shape of an early and late tailgate are the same it will fit (size-wise).

The differences are:

The Early: has no rear wash/wiper, it has the smaller lock hole, it has No VW centre badge.

The Late: can have a wash wiper (dependant on model but not if it has a double glazed rear window), There is a larger lock hole (the rear raised horizontal strip is also shaped around the hole), Comes with and without the centre VW badge (again dependant on year and USA models I think don't have this) with a centre VW badge the tailgate has a recessed circle in the door to accept the badge)

Think thats it? Unless anyone can add/correct any of that!?

Good Luck :ok