CV Boots - ancient design?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

CV Boots - ancient design?

Post by tforturton »

I'm having to change an inner front CV boot on the Syncro for the MOT, but the work involved makes me wonder why this job hasn't evolved with technology. Why hasn't anyone invented a CV boot that comes with a vertical slit, where the edges are glue-coated, and simply stick together? You cut the old one off, slip the old one on, then peel off the strips covering the glue, and simply stick it together? It can't be that hard to make, and would save a hell of a lot of work.
Taking the idea step further, has anyone tried to do this with an ordinary boot? Just slit it vertically, and then glue it back together with some sort of super rubber glue? This is such an obvious solution, its hard to believe that no-ones thought of it before. Is there any reason why either of these suggestions wouldn't work?

Edited later - I've just spotted that you can buy universal 'slit' CV boots on Amazon, which glue together, though looking at the reviews, it would appear that they aren't that good at the moment. They do the job, but are a bit fiddly. No news on how long they last, though.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Re: CV Boots - ancient design?

Post by Ian and Lins »

I've not used them for the split CV kit but this car factors in Mansfield are brilliant at supplying stuff and I don't think they would sell or supply anything dodgy.
http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/split-cv-gaiter-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

bene
80-90 Mem No: 13093

Post by bene »

my old beetle ones bolted together...
Any one for cricket? what what?

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Post by Slider2 »

Yeah.... They've existed for at least 10 years....
Trouble is the amount of flexing that a cv boot goes through would really test the adhesive to its limit.

The existing split ones do work but my experience wasnt great and I certainly didn't feel like it would last anywhere as near as an unsplit boot.

The new technology solution is stretchy boots.... But you need an air supply and expensive tool to stretch them... And the range is limited...

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Don't see the point in a stretchy boot - you'd still have to disconnect the shaft from the wheel to get it on. The point of the 'split' boot is that you don't need to do that. Just put it on, glue it together, and jubilee clip it in place. Should cut the job down to about twenty minutes, or even less.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

meggles

Post by meggles »

I was using split CV boots in the early 80's. Or have I misread what the post is about :?

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

Glued a cv boot to get a car through an MOT once. Cleaned the split with meths and superglued it. Passed ok and lasted for 30,000 miles until I got rid of the car.

First car was a 100E Prefect, the rear gearbox mount split, cleaned it and glued with superglue, also lasted until I got rid of the car.
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

If there's one thing superglue glues as well as Skin, it's rubber. Superglue relies on expelling air from the joint, and with a flexible surface such as skin or rubber, it's perfect. Problem I s, if a boot has split, that indicates a problem with the rubber. But as said, should get through an MOT when done carefully.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

meggles

Post by meggles »

[quote=
Last edited by meggles on 12 May 2017, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

meggles

Post by meggles »

="RogerT. Problem I s, if a boot has split, that indicates a problem with the rubber..
Unless it is impact damage
Highly possible on the roads in York!