R7 or R9 fuel lines?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ChrisTriple
80-90 Mem No: 12111

R7 or R9 fuel lines?

Post by ChrisTriple »

Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I need to replace my fuel lines, Brickwerks are currently out of stock, I found some cheap ones from brick parts uk on eBay, these are half the price of Brickwerks ones so I'm guessing pretty poo too.
Would they last a few months just to get me out of bother? Or isn't it worth the bother
With Brickwerks stocktake looming I'm not sure they'll get them in stock quick enough. I need them Tuesday really.
84 Devon Sunrise PopTop, DF. Campershack LPG.
Full Body resto completed 04-17

http://www.T25Camper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: R7 or R9 fuel lines?

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I'd avoid R7 tbh, it doesn't cope well with modern fuels with ethanol in the blend.
Plenty of R9 on e-bay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R9-Fuel-INJEC ... K6h9PSHfUQ

Standard Fuel Line Hose - SAE 30R7

No longer used by the OEMs due to high permeation level: 37 times 30R9

Known as a general purpose hose for standard fuel and low oil pressure
applications up to 35 psi in 3/8” and 50 psi in 5/16”; best used as PVC and EEC
hose (vapors)

Not recommended for 1985 and newer vehicles

If yu're really having trouble sleeping, have a read of this.
http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/bioethanolstudyreport.pdf
I work for QinetiQ but have no connection to this report. :rofl
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/brickwerks ... ssurances/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Says it's now in stock at Brickwerks - deffo the stuff to get:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/fuel-hose- ... m-eco.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what happened to the other hose that I bought before - luckily I spotted it leaking before I drove away otherwise there's a good chance I'd have no van now:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=147218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

bigbadbob76 wrote:

Still reading it but this caught my attention as it describes a problem that has been raising its head on the forum quite often:

The potential exists for E10 blends to exhibit a higher vapour pressure than conventional blends (E0). This could result in the E10 blend vaporising prematurely in the fuel system prior to the carburettor or fuel injector. This can happen when the vehicle is left to ‘hot soak’ i.e. the engine and associated cooling devices have been switched off while the engine is still hot. The likelihood of the petrol vaporising will depend on the vehicle’s fuel system design, ambient temperature and pressure.
Premature vaporisation of the fuel can result in vapour lock and fuel starvation leading to hot start problems, hesitation and even stalling when the operator attempts to restart and drive the hot vehicle away. Some older vehicles may experience ‘running vapour lock’ when operating under high speed and high load conditions.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

So how do we know what type of fuel we are filling up with when we get to the pumps?

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Jeff J wrote:So how do we know what type of fuel we are filling up with when we get to the pumps?

from 2010 report-
"Typically petrol contains either no ethanol or 4 to 5 % depending on the geographical area. At this level (≤ 5 %) the retail pumps are not required to be marked as dispensing fuel containing ethanol."
suggesting that fuel containing >5% should be marked on the pump.

From what I've read, E10 is commonly available in france but less so in the UK, so watch out if you take your T25 abroad.
Another problem with Ethanol is that it causes corrosion problems to both aluminium and brass and particularly to combinations of those metals.
Won't do our carbs much good. :evil:

EU directive- Fuel Quality Directive (2009/30/EC) allows the fuel you buy to destroy your fuel system from the inside out. :evil:
Last edited by bigbadbob76 on 03 Apr 2017, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Split case club member.

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:
bigbadbob76 wrote:

Still reading it but this caught my attention as it describes a problem that has been raising its head on the forum quite often:

The potential exists for E10 blends to exhibit a higher vapour pressure than conventional blends (E0). This could result in the E10 blend vaporising prematurely in the fuel system prior to the carburettor or fuel injector. This can happen when the vehicle is left to ‘hot soak’ i.e. the engine and associated cooling devices have been switched off while the engine is still hot. The likelihood of the petrol vaporising will depend on the vehicle’s fuel system design, ambient temperature and pressure.
Premature vaporisation of the fuel can result in vapour lock and fuel starvation leading to hot start problems, hesitation and even stalling when the operator attempts to restart and drive the hot vehicle away. Some older vehicles may experience ‘running vapour lock’ when operating under high speed and high load conditions.

another good point-
"Of the trials identified in the current review the only trial to report drivability problems was conducted by Orbital in Australia and employed a range of passenger cars, with manufacturing dates ranging from 1982 to 2000 [12]. Some of these vehicles are similar to models being used in UK. Carburettored vehicles manufactured between 1982 and 1997 were evaluated on E5 and all (of those tested) were found to have drivability issues. Table 2 summarises the Orbital studies findings for drivability and material compatibility. These hot start and drivability issues, although unsatisfactory for the user were not considered safety issues."
Split case club member.

ChrisTriple

Post by ChrisTriple »

Well as Brickwerks have no stock and I'm in dire need, I've ordered some from brickparts uk. I know I'll end up changing them before to long but it'll get me out of a hole!

Thanks all for your replies

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

ChrisTriple wrote:Well as Brickwerks have no stock and I'm in dire need, I've ordered some from brickparts uk. I know I'll end up changing them before to long but it'll get me out of a hole!

What size you after? We've got fupping loads.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Simon Baxter
Trader

Post by Simon Baxter »

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/catalogsea ... pm&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As an aside, we've had a few annoyed customers emailling saying that our fuel hose has fallen apart after 12 months. After a bit of quizzing it turned out that they had bought it from our ebay shop.
We put very little on ebay and we've never had fuel hose on ebay, it seems there is another company trading with a similar name and they though they had bought our decent stuff from us via ebay, they hadn't.
We have never had any of our FPM fuel hose returned.
Volkswagen classic parts have also contacted us asking about use of their logo on ebay, they also got confused as they saw the company name and presumed it was us, so, buyer beware.
Our fuel hose is made by a manufacturer who make fuel hose for VW as well as plenty of other car manufacturers, it's good stuff and suitable for 100% ethanol and 100% RME.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

djswain1
80-90 Mem No: 15611

Post by djswain1 »

Jeff J wrote:So how do we know what type of fuel we are filling up with when we get to the pumps?
The pump has to be clearly marked if it dispensing E10 I keep looking on the pumps but haven't come across any marked up yet

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Bessie the bus- 1987 Holdswoth Vision 1.9DG auto with VW factory hitop

ChrisTriple

Post by ChrisTriple »

Simon Baxter wrote:
ChrisTriple wrote:Well as Brickwerks have no stock and I'm in dire need, I've ordered some from brickparts uk. I know I'll end up changing them before to long but it'll get me out of a hole!

What size you after? We've got fupping loads.

I was after the full feed and return kit. Web shop says out of stock

Simon Baxter
Trader

Post by Simon Baxter »

We make them, we have all the components in stock, just email and we'll make them.
To be honest, we can't keep up at the moment, just taken another lad on but still not enough.
There was a time when for the last couple of hours in the day we could kit up things that were low but the traditionally quieter times of the year have been pretty full on and we've not had opertunity to build kits.
Just email, ask and we'll shuffle things around to get kits built.
I'm also no sure why people are so reluctant to put their email address in the box for the return to stock notifications, put your email address in and when parts return to stock you get an email, simple.
You don't go onto a mailing list or anything, this is Brickwerks, we're not like that. I hate unnecessary emails as much as you do!
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks