Brown interior (fading)

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sonnyhowell
80-90 Mem No: 0

Brown interior (fading)

Post by sonnyhowell »

Hello!
I wonder if anyone can help on this. I have searched many times and come up with not a lot. I have just purchased a beautiful savannah biege metallic caravelle gl....mainly because it has the most complete gold/brown interior I have seen in ages. The only problem is the case of the '50 shades of brown'. I have no experience with the saddle brown plastic. I know the black trim is all different plastics but can be roughly treated the same to eliminate (all be it temporarily) the fading effect. I usually use some kind of trim oil.
My question is, would the brown trim react the same way? Do you guys have any tips/tricks for this? As I seem to see that finding an exact match to the vw saddle brown in a plastic paint is impossible (unless you guys know something I don't)

Many Thanks in advance :ok

BohemiVan

Re: Brown interior (fading)

Post by BohemiVan »

sonnyhowell wrote:Hello!
I wonder if anyone can help on this. I have searched many times and come up with not a lot. I have just purchased a beautiful savannah biege metallic caravelle gl....mainly because it has the most complete gold/brown interior I have seen in ages. The only problem is the case of the '50 shades of brown'. I have no experience with the saddle brown plastic. I know the black trim is all different plastics but can be roughly treated the same to eliminate (all be it temporarily) the fading effect. I usually use some kind of trim oil.
My question is, would the brown trim react the same way? Do you guys have any tips/tricks for this? As I seem to see that finding an exact match to the vw saddle brown in a plastic paint is impossible (unless you guys know something I don't)

Many Thanks in advance :ok

Have you considered furniture wax? I find oil tends to just darken things but wax rejuvenates the colour.

sonnyhowell
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by sonnyhowell »

I pick up the van on tuesday (can't wait!) but I'm just trying to get a jump on things really. It's about the only thing that's letting it down. I'd love to take that faded powdery look away

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I have the same metallic beige van - years ago I tried to resurrect mine ( when I was a bit more concerned with the look) but couldn't find anything that would rejuvenate the brown unlike the black plastic which appears to be more amenable to recovery. You wait until you try to match new paint!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

You could always change the brown plastic parts for black parts, it would give the interior a more modern makeover.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Don't the brown plastic parts sell for quite a bit? Rare n all...

I'd like some brown captain chairs... If anyone is throwing some away :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Complete with the brown plastic? :rofl Sorry but I sit on mine.
( I can't see anyone swapping all the brown bits for black! Strange idea if it were at all possible, stripping seats, dash, doors and so on)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶