Alternative Door Card + Insulation Ideas

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: Alternative Door Card + Insulation Ideas

Post by what2do »

Where've you been hiding? Loads of people on different T3 Facebook groups have been discussing the resulting problems of fibreglass in plastic bags, people have been doing it for years. All of the voids in your van have a passage of air due to it not being hermetically sealed. Kiravans are one of many people that will export (within Europe) and their product is exceptional. Regarding your last question, I wouldn't recommend filling a void at all because how can you expect the condensation to be removed if the air isn't free to move. It's the same with buildings, which is where the insulation originates, it never touches the inner and outer skin, there's always an air gap.

If I had absolutely no option other than to use your method I'd have to soak the voids with Dinitrol or similar to reduce the possibility of surface rust in the voids. I lie, I'd rather leave them empty and wear a jumper :rofl
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

BohemiVan

Post by BohemiVan »

what2do wrote:Where've you been hiding? Loads of people on different T3 Facebook groups have been discussing the resulting problems of fibreglass in plastic bags, people have been doing it for years. All of the voids in your van have a passage of air due to it not being hermetically sealed. Kiravans are one of many people that will export (within Europe) and their product is exceptional. Regarding your last question, I wouldn't recommend filling a void at all because how can you expect the condensation to be removed if the air isn't free to move. It's the same with buildings, which is where the insulation originates, it never touches the inner and outer skin, there's always an air gap.

If I had absolutely no option other than to use your method I'd have to soak the voids with Dinitrol or similar to reduce the possibility of surface rust in the voids. I lie, I'd rather leave them empty and wear a jumper :rofl

It's not the cold I need to keep out but the heat. I'm in Spain.

If this idea is as laughable as you claim, how come it's recommended in this forum's technical wiki?

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bo ... Insulation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who should we contact to get that wiki changed?

what2do

Post by what2do »

Him trying to post links for you but my iPad won't allow me to paste addresses! Hot/cold same principle unless the van lives permanently in an environment that has a relative humidity that is similar to that of a barren landscape. Most camper vans and motor homes are used during the summer season and are insulated to keep the interior cooler but you won't find any of them with filled voids. Are there any Spanish manufacturers that you could phone for suppliers details?

The wiki doesn't need changing, it states that it will act as an insulation against hot/cold air - that much is true. I just wouldn't subject my van to it, it's a personal thing as my van is a keeper. I put pics up of how I used sound deadening before applying the Kiravans insulation, simple enough job to do.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

what2do

Post by what2do »

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/thermo-acoust ... er-surface" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's taken so many attempts to get one single 'paste' to function properly!

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

BohemiVan

Post by BohemiVan »

what2do wrote:http://www.kiravans.co.uk/thermo-acoust ... er-surface

I'd probably need ten meters and the price would be doubled to include postage. That would make this option several times more expensive than the one I went for. I don't have the money to switch right now.

My panels are all easily accessible. I intended on opening them up every year or so to check they are all ok. They've been filled for five months and will be opening some up soon anyway. I can see if anything awful has happened.

what2do

Post by what2do »

BohemiVan wrote:

I'd probably need ten meters and the price would be doubled to include postage. That would make this option several times more expensive than the one I went for. I don't have the money to switch right now.

My panels are all easily accessible. I intended on opening them up every year or so to check they are all ok. They've been filled for five months and will be opening some up soon anyway. I can see if anything awful has happened.

Like I said, Dinitrol is your best friend with the route you've chosen, not expensive and a brilliant product.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

If you want to do it on the cheap , get an old duvet with polyester filling, remove outer cover thats sew on and cut filling into sizes you need.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

BohemiVan

Post by BohemiVan »

what2do wrote:
BohemiVan wrote:

Like I said, Dinitrol is your best friend with the route you've chosen, not expensive and a brilliant product.

I might just use that but I might also line the outer wall with foil backed bubble wrap too once everything else is done and paid for. Thanks for the tips.

BohemiVan

Post by BohemiVan »

multisi wrote:If you want to do it on the cheap , get an old duvet with polyester filling, remove outer cover thats sew on and cut filling into sizes you need.

I've already done mine with polythene wrapped fibreglass but this is a good idea (I think) but also might need to be wrapped in plastic to avoid water logging. I remember my duvet feeling like a wet flannel when I lived in a cold little house if I had been away for more than a week. A duvet would make a great lining for the cab chairs wouldn't it?

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

You have mentioned its the heat you want to keep out so i wouldnt worry about wrapping anything up. Just make sure you do not have rusty window surrounds that will let water in.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

On mine I'm using 8mm foam with bubble foil. Gluing that direct to the metal and then I'm using the DIALL plastic insulation. The DIALL won't be in contact with a cold surface so condensation should be minimal. Hopefully the DIALL will breathe a bit so if it does get damp will dry out. I'd be wary about wrapping stuff in plastic bundles as you may well be trapping moisture between the plastic and the van metal with no way for that to breathe.
But in Spain it's probably so warm that it would dry out quickly anyway.
Great videos by the way, lovely to see a mum and daughter working together, keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

BohemiVan

Post by BohemiVan »

multisi wrote:You have mentioned its the heat you want to keep out so i wouldnt worry about wrapping anything up. Just make sure you do not have rusty window surrounds that will let water in.

It's already all wrapped up (apart from in two panels) and fitted. It's been in for about five months now.

Good tip about the rust around the windows though. I do have one bad spot so will attend to it immediately now you've said this. Thanks :D

BohemiVan

Post by BohemiVan »

boatbuilder wrote:On mine I'm using 8mm foam with bubble foil. Gluing that direct to the metal and then I'm using the DIALL plastic insulation. The DIALL won't be in contact with a cold surface so condensation should be minimal. Hopefully the DIALL will breathe a bit so if it does get damp will dry out. I'd be wary about wrapping stuff in plastic bundles as you may well be trapping moisture between the plastic and the van metal with no way for that to breathe.
But in Spain it's probably so warm that it would dry out quickly anyway.
Great videos by the way, lovely to see a mum and daughter working together, keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If ever I find a suitable insulation material locally and have the cash to buy it I will consider upgrading. Until then, this is doing the job well and I can easily check on them. I will now be cautiously optimistic.

Thanks for your persistent and chivalrous encouragement. :D

rightsideup
80-90 Mem No: 15971

Post by rightsideup »

The varnished ply looks really good, I think I'll try it myself.
86 Auto~Sleeper WBX 1.9 DG | 88 SAAB 900 Turbo | 74 Ducati 750GT | 78 MZ TS250/1 | 16 Vespa PX150