Question for the builders - garage doors

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Question for the builders - garage doors

Post by DavidPallister »

I'm going to need a new garage door some time soon, I think the current one is the original door so is 30 yrs old.

Question is, is there any reason why I can't just make and fit my own, or does it have to be done to building regs, certified and fitted by a professional body (FENSA?)?

Ta

Dave

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Question for the builders - garage doors

Post by Plasticman »

if your the freeholder and not in a conservation area nor a listed building and a few other reasons then make if from what you will
mm

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

If it is an integral garage then the door into the house has to be fireproof & self-closing. Not sure if that is what you are referring to.

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DavidPallister »

No, it's the main up-and-over door, one side is literally hanging by 2 strands of wire!

Not ready to replace just yet, but as long as I know I'm allowed to do it myself and don't have to pay someone for a job I'm perfectly capable of doing myself I'm happy.

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

David,
When you come to remove the door watch out for the big balance springs that are at the top of the door frame if it has some. They are normally wound up to counter balance the weight of the door and can cause injury if you are not careful with them. If you have two weights hanging down the sides they are a lot easier to deal with, just like big shash weights.
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

Not easy by yourself, try & get an assistant. Do it now before the cable breaks & it is much easier as you will not have to retention any springs.

GavB95
80-90 Mem No: 13157

Post by GavB95 »

What make is your garage door Dave? You can get rebuild/repair kits for garage doors which would be worth looking into. I fitted one to a 'Henderson' door (big tensioned spring horizontal across top and small cables down either side) and it got it working as good as new.

I was a bit nervous about doing it but it was a doddle, the only bit I needed that didn't come in the kit was some mole grips.

This is the type I got...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HENDERSON ... 1303110175
Bluestar T3 - AAZ/flipped Audi box