combi boiler problem

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

combi boiler problem

Post by scottbott »

cannot find my old post to this problem that we are having in our house after recent move but it would not switch off and the rads were getting hotter and hotter,a few people answered with various answers and what we eventually had done was,the people that serviced the boiler before we bought the house came out and fitted a new programmer and new thermostat,seemed ok for a week or so then replaced a leaking pressure relief valve but problem got worse,I was up at 4 in the morning as the house was like an oven even though the stat was turned all the way down and the system was 'off',had to go into the garage and switch the boiler off at the mains,my wife had the a*** with the heating engineers as we had spent £400 and it was worse so she found a local engineer on line gave him a bell and he had a look and thought it was the diverter valve (as mentioned by various people here),he ordered one and came round this morning to fit it and started to check things and noticed that a 'link' wire looked to be in the wrong place,after putting it where he thought it should go everything seems ok now,he said it looks like it was incorrectly fitted from new! and it is about 10-15 years old,the previous owners son was a plumber/heating engineer as well,whether he fitted it I do not know,it just was not switching off,the day we moved in was a nice warm sunny day and the house was roasting as all the rads were red hot,hopefully all ok now,trouble with moving to a new area and not knowing anyone trustworthy
Nil carborundum illegitimi

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: combi boiler problem

Post by captain Byrne »

Very odd, I'm assuming when you bought the house you didn't fall out with the previous owners?
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

captain Byrne wrote:Very odd, I'm assuming when you bought the house you didn't fall out with the previous owners?
By the sound of things, the previous owners probably moved because their gas bills were so high....
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Do you think their son trained to be a heating engineer in an attempt to fix the problem that had been plaguing them for years. In the end they still couldn't sort it so decided to sell the house?
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Perhaps the stat was faulty and had been linked out to make the heating come on.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

its an oil fired burner,it just about sums up the house,it will be great but he had loads of bodge jobs done that you do not see when viewing a house,everything in the kitchen was sticky with grease or something similar,the really annoying thing was the he looked me in the eye and said "you will be able to move in sit down and make a cup of tea as the house will be immaculate",pulled the triple oven out and dried food stuck down the sides of it,I could go on but it is a nice house and it just needs lots of TLC

NicBeeee

Post by NicBeeee »

I spent more time looking around our van then I spent looking at our new house prior to purchase ,location was our main concern, I think I have spent the same amount of time working on both.

1988 1.9 DG

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

our house was the same,great position,nice village,everything we were after really,many the time my wife has said "I hate this house,should of stayed where we was",I reply to her that this time next year most stuff will be done and and we can laugh about it,hopefully!

NicBeeee

Post by NicBeeee »

It will be worth it when it's done, if we bought a perfect house I would have got bored anyway, good luck with it

1988 1.9 DG

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

thanks