Installing new cab door lock

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bhagatsingh
80-90 Mem No: 13561

Post by bhagatsingh »

Hi,

I'm looking to fix my cab door lock (drivers side) - the locking mechanism works, but you can turn the lock with any key/knife/spoon! So i've managed to find a new lock/key set online - but looking through previous posts on sliding door locks etc - wondered if I should also purchase a new handle set too? Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

VW T25, WC, 1986 1.9 petrol.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Installing new cab door lock

Post by CovKid »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-VW ... xydUJTPH48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just change the whole thing. If you buy two, you can rekey one to match the other, or you can rekey both to match other locks. Did mine. No lolly stick or 20p coin will open any of mine ;)

It helps if you have other locks around to raid for spares.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bhagatsingh
80-90 Mem No: 13561

Post by bhagatsingh »

thanks much appreciated!

Gary.
80-90 Mem No: 15521

Post by Gary. »

It's on my list too, can also open one door with sharp stick! Buying new locks maybe a bit excessive...

"mbcamper" on here has written an excellent article on here: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... k#p8160781

I have successfully changed a barrel on one of my locker doors.
Gary.

1990 Syncro doka (RHD), 1.6TD.

Gary.

Post by Gary. »

I've removed the barrel as per the instructions listed, but all I have is a corroded mess. There is no way they can be restored.

I see Brickwerks can match the tumblers to the existing key, though on here somewhere I read that it's a fairly easy DIY job. Has anyone had luck changing the tumbler parts themselves with the brickwerks ones?
Gary.

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Easy diy job. I have some wafers you can have, but no barrels. Just a case of placing the wafers in the slots to match your key. The only reason to buy new would be if you could'nt get the key into the existing lock and release the barrel from the handle in the first place.

1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

Gary.

Post by Gary. »

Thanks for the reply.

I can't actually get the key fully in the existing barrel, plus it's extremely corroded, so would probably be a bit sticky even if I cleaned them up.

I've actually got some spare wafers from some spare locker barrels, I'll do some dismantling and play around with those first!

I'll try and remember to post the results up on here.
Gary.

craigy345
80-90 Mem No: 13029

Post by craigy345 »

Gary. wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I can't actually get the key fully in the existing barrel, plus it's extremely corroded, so would probably be a bit sticky even if I cleaned them up.

I've actually got some spare wafers from some spare locker barrels, I'll do some dismantling and play around with those first!

I'll try and remember to post the results up on here.

Sounds that your existing lock is full of crap and/or corroded?
Which leads to wafers getting stuck in their chamber and not moving up/down under the spring pressure as they should.

I would remove the barrel strip it down give it a good clean out (carb cleaner) replace any damaged springs and wafers and rebuild making sure you fully re-grease (never use WD40)
Not that difficult to do and you already have the parts ^ that may be required.

Good Luck, let us know if you get stuck and need any help/advice? :ok
VW T25 1.6TD (JX) 1987 Westfalia Club Joker

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

As lock barrels age and wear, the range of key profiles that fit, increases. Personally I wouldn't be messing with an old barrel (although have in the past) simply because a new lock is so precise in comparison. Mine had got to the stage where the sliding door could be opened with a 20p coin. Its not just the barrel that wears either, the handle body does too, and worse, the handle spring has a tendency to corrode away and snap. Some owners make the situation even worse by filing down incorrect barrel wafers so the lock actually works, but in so doing, increase the range of potential key-fits to the point where the lock becomes pointless.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Gary.

Post by Gary. »

Precisely why I have just bought new barrels!
Gary.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

As long as handle body isn't worn/grooved, a new barrel is fine