Deadlocks

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Deadlocks

Post by Winchweight »

Has anyone fitted dead locks to the cab doors, tailgate and sider?

I wondered what people have used and if anyone has experience of certain types, such as the Thule sliding door loack or those offered by Fiamma and Milenco?

There are companies offering deadlocks with Yale type keys etc that fit to cab doors etc, but has anyone fitted them themselves?
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Deadlocks

Post by CovKid »

I went through this train of thought some years ago but when you consider that smashing glass is relatively straightforward, you wonder what point there is in spending cash on deadlocks that will also need extra holes drilling in doors etc.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Winchweight

Post by Winchweight »

That is very true. I am thinking as much about making stealing it more trouble than it's worth.

Also security film on the windows etc. True it's simply a case of stripping out the seals to remove the window, but if you're travelling globally and end up somewhere you might not have intended to be, it might stop windows getting smashed etc.

There is a guy on YouTube who added heavy jail bars to every window and removeable ones to the cab. That's probably over kill but maybe not? A single horizontal bar welded across the windows would stop someone adult sized climbing in.

A German couple we met have added hardwood "latches" inside the b pillar that rotated through the air vent ducts into the doors to limit opening.

I've considered a ratchet strap between the cab doors and shed type bolts for inside the tailgate. Sliding door is more challenging without being a pain to live inside with.

And I guess an alarm is a good move, especially one with a panic button.

Just putting ideas out there.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I have long come to the conclusion that even alarms don't deter much. People hear them all the time and ignore them. Best way is to keep it empty when not in use (even leave cupboard doors open) and fit an interrupt to coil via hidden switch.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Winchweight

Post by Winchweight »

That's a good idea. A kill switch does stop everything happening. :ok

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

I may be wrong, but I think Shaun is thinking about foreign travel, and keeping the van secure whilst abroad, rather than worrying about it when its parked up outside his house. I'm no expert, but I would say that a kill switch and door locks were almost a necessity. You don't see many vans with window bars though - at least, not in any of the videos I've watched. Guess a lot depends on where you're planning to go.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

Shaun,
a couple of ideas I have toyed with. Firstly, one I installed. This used rack bolts rather like the type sold for adding to wooden domestic doors where you poke in a spline key and rotate it several turns to drive out a rod type latch between the door and pillar. The ones I got used a tubular key with part circles machined out of its leading edge. These pushed in a ruing of pins to varying depths to unlock the key mechanism and allow rotation. I think (memory from 25 years ago) that the company was called Safeway but a quick search does not reveal anything like that.

The second, untested, idea, is to use similar rod bolts but driven by central locking motors, so no external key points to attack. You might nee to think about a hidden switch somewhere that could overcome the 'lost transmitter' situation.

The sliding door is always going to be the most difficult since it needs to be at the back of the door where the gap between door and pillar is much larger than anywhere else. Although I suppose it could drive down into the floor edge?
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

Winchweight

Post by Winchweight »

Some good ideas thanks Gary. I'm still looking at options and open to food for thought. At present the front doors will be simply ratchet strapped shut, but that's probably easily overcome.

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

If they want your van, simple ist gone, I can load up a van onto a low loader in about 5 mins max. Ive been and got cars loaded them with alarms blaring away and no one questioned me! And no it dont matter if there in gear/ Hand brak on, steering all the way to one side etc, dollys under the wheels negate them!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Winchweight

Post by Winchweight »

I was thinking more about denying opportunist thefts in car parks or when touring really, rather than organised car crime.

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Post by Slider2 »

I've got some fitted to mine.... previous owner fitted

They're branded WBH and still seem to be available from a quick google search
Can provide pics if needed....
Cheers
Attachments
IMG_5188.JPG
IMG_5188.JPG (108.4 KiB) Viewed 4663 times

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Post by Slider2 »

I also used to have electrically operated central locking with integrated deadlocking fitted to my corrado 10 years back.
They were great. Locked & unlocked as you'd expect, but they had a second motor inside that drove a small bolt through the mechanism physically holding the lock plungers down.

A great design and product but in this day & age I guess there isn't a market for them. I've searched & searched but it looks like they're discontinued.

The other 90's option was the 'barrier deadlock' which was a welder on lock on the transmission tunnel which locked the gear selector in position. Again a great soulution.... unless the thief has the means to lift away!

Disklok, immobiliser, and mechanical deadlocks on mine..... but Clearly the best deterrent on a 25 is copious amounts of rust!

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

Shaun

Fabzzz has some nice locks on the inside of his door for when your in the van, may be worth dropping him a message
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Another option is to have a visible extra steering lock and little alarm warning signs on door windows should deter most thieves. Whatever you do, don't leave passports, credit cards and cash in your van when travelling.
After having 3 door locks damaged in Barcelona some years back, when thieves broke in, I smiled because we had our valuables with us. Yes it was a pain to return to a van strewn with dirty washing but it did not stop us having a great holiday.

Winchweight

Post by Winchweight »

Thanks guys. We have a pedal lock, steering lock, tracker etc. But I am thinking about someone prying the door open or popping the locks.

I'll have a look thanks Keith and Slider, cheers all.