i pad reset problems

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

i pad reset problems

Post by Dazco »

andrea has an iPad which is around 2 1/2 years old . She needs to re set it as it was put into find mode ( I'm not very familiar with these things) anyway, it seams as though the password and security questions etc are not working . We have been in contact with apple who wanted proof of purchase , vat receipt, and supplier details . It was bought through amazon and they have responded to our request for details and it appears as though the original supplier is no longer trading .
To cut a long story short we have no proof of purchase, as a result apple will not reset it ( can't blame them really)
Is there any " back door " way of resetting them or is it bin time ?
Thanks , Daz
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Re: i pad reset problems

Post by Smiffo »

Hi Dazco.

I'm not sure what you mean by `find mode` but either way, you can restore your IPad to default settings.
Firstly though, are you able to actually log into it, or have you forgotten the numerical password to enter it?

You can follow the steps below, but it will erase all info on the device:

How to Unlock an iPad with a Passcode

The only way to unlock an iPad with a passcode, other than entering the passcode, is to "restore" it to its original factory settings.

To restore your iPad -- which deletes all of your data (songs, photos, videos, apps, and so on) on the iPad use the following directions. Be absolutely sure that you have backed up the content on your iPad before restoring it.

Apple's official instructions to restore an iPad are:

1. Connect iPad to your computer.
2. Select iPad in the iTunes sidebar, then click the Summary tab.
3. Click “Check for Update.” iTunes tells you if there’s a newer version of the iPad software available.
4. Click Restore. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the restore process. When restoring, it is recommended that you back up iPad when prompted. When the iPad software has been restored, you can choose to set up iPad as a new iPad, or restore your music, videos, app data, and other content from a backup.
Please additionally note that Apple staff also cannot unlock an iPad for you without restoring the iPad, which will erase everything on it.

Just for clarity - what exactly do you mean by `find mode` as usually `find my device` is done via the cloud or other apple device.
Apologies if I totally misunderstood here
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Sounds like you've put an activation lock on it through "find my iPhone", which means that you have to enter your Apple ID and password before it can be used (restoring through iTunes won't work). If you have forgotten your Apple password and the answers to security questions then that is a bit of a problem as the activation lock is set to make the ipad unusable to anyone without the apple account details...
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Dazco

Post by Dazco »

Sorry about that , yes it was "find my iPhone",like I said I'm not familiar with this tech stuff, and yes for whatever reason the password etc are not being recognised.
You are right , we have not been able to re set to factory settings as passwords etc are not recognised. Time for the bin I think in that case.
Ps smiffo, I followed all those instructions and still no joy as you still need password etc to verify the account . :ok

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Surely you can reset your Apple ID / password?

Then log onto Icloud from another device and resolve that way?
It might be me, maybe I am not seeing something obviously preventing a resolution here?

I don't want to waste your time, but I don't want to see you bin an Ipad either..!!

If it were me, I would get into Icloud...
Once in there, goto `find my Iphone` then when the map comes up, click on the device, then on the `i` and then click `erase`
( You may have the option to unlock from there too, rather than `erase` the device. I haven't locked mine before, so not sure on that bit. )

That should effectively remove the Ipad from your Icloud account. ( Or unlock it if you can select that option. )

If logging into Icloud is an issue, just reset your passwords etc first, then follow the above steps.

Try it Daz - what do you have to lose other than 15mins of your time vs an Ipad....?
Let us know if that works - I might need it myself one day..!! :lol:
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Dazco

Post by Dazco »

I'll try that mate cheers , thanks for all the great advice :ok