After some plumbing advice on shower

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Re: After some plumbing advice on shower

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I've excavated more trying to find a brand or serial number, no joy. It's been hard to get quotes, the plumbers I've called say that they can't tell until they do the job or don't return calls/emails. I have had only one actual quote of £600! fitting only not tiling or supplying valve. Can anyone give me a ballpark of whats reasonable. Need to get it done because everyone bathing all the time is a PITA

Honorary "Dave" 

quattrodave
80-90 Mem No: 15840

Post by quattrodave »

For me working in the North East I'd be looking to charge in the region of £250.
That would include modifying the pipe work to accept new valve and installation of valve, a return trip to fix faceplate etc when the wall is tiled and commissioning.
The quote of £600 is 'an I don't want the job' price!
Have you tried posting the job on the 'my builder' website ?
I use that myself to get work and customers often swear by it to find tradesman
Search 'my builder' on google

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I think you're right. I've been sending pics which might be off putting. I'll try posting it. The old buy cheap buy twice adage applies again.
Honorary "Dave" 

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Sir Brixalot wrote:I think you're right. I've been sending pics which might be off putting. I'll try posting it. The old buy cheap buy twice adage applies again.

Nothing off putting about a pic like that, I'd be delighted if I was emaile that as it's such a straight forward job to do. Just about half a days work including cleaning up, etc. Personally, if it were me, I'd get someone to do the job but ask them to leave the grouting as it shouldn't really be done the same day.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

That quote I had was with me doing all the fixing. Good tip about mybuilders, came back to 10 enquiries
Honorary "Dave" 

quattrodave
80-90 Mem No: 15840

Post by quattrodave »

Sir Brixalot wrote:That quote I had was with me doing all the fixing. Good tip about mybuilders, came back to 10 enquiries
That's great, and if you shortlist the tradesman you like they will pay a fee, probably about £10 for that job, it ensures you only get serious enquiries.

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Wish I lived near you, would do it for a cup of tea, some biscuits & a good rant about nowt. Hope you get it sorted.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Or a couple of Scotches :ok
Honorary "Dave" 

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Valve now in. Pipes need reburying. It was done with plaster last time but this will take a long time to dry. Would it be OK to use expandable foam for speed? I'd put gaffer tape to protect the pipes
Honorary "Dave" 

what2do

Post by what2do »

Sir Brixalot wrote:Valve now in. Pipes need reburying. It was done with plaster last time but this will take a long time to dry. Would it be OK to use expandable foam for speed? I'd put gaffer tape to protect the pipes

I cover the pipes in hair felt lagging before using bonding/carlite bonding as it goes off pretty quick. If you use ou foam, it takes hours to cure on the inside, the surface maybe rock hard but trust me, the middle will be gooey for ages. The lagging is to allow the pipes to expand/contract freely, if you plaster directly over them, they won't be free to 'move'. Most showers I rip out, have mostly fresh air around the pipe work!

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Note the gypsum in plaster corrodes copper pipe, cover your pipework with plastic covers if using plaster, note the corrosion , did not effect the old copper pipe as much but the new thin wall stuff :cry:
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Thanks for the advice. I was just going to put gaffer tape on but lagging isn't any more difficult. Good tip about the foam. The old pipes have been in for 8 years and had denso tape on them.
Honorary "Dave" 

what2do

Post by what2do »

Sir Brixalot wrote:Thanks for the advice. I was just going to put gaffer tape on but lagging isn't any more difficult. Good tip about the foam. The old pipes have been in for 8 years and had denso tape on them.

Denso is perfect for that job. I don't use it because it's horrible messy stuff and I don't want it any where near my tools, hence my suggestion of hair felt lagging.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.