Fiamma bike racks and fat tyres...

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

Fiamma bike racks and fat tyres...

Post by volks_womble »

So, is anyone on here into a bit of mountain biking?

One of my motivations for having my van is to be able to take my bike and find some interesting trails to ride, for which I have a Fiamma t25 bike rack.

My bike (Whyte 905) is running 2.4" tyres which are just too wide to easily sit inside the rails on the rack. Does anyone know if wider rails are available?

My current thinking is to find a bit of aluminium channel the correct size, and swap it over, but I thought I would ask in case there is an easy fix...

Cheers
Mark
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic

george2490
80-90 Mem No: 14339

Re: Fiamma bike racks and fat tyres...

Post by george2490 »

I ride too. If using a bike with fat wheels I take them off and stick them inside. I don't have fiamma though, I use an old hook on rack.
2.0 CU

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Post by JonB »

I put my 29er+ on the standard fiamma channels. The tyres are 3", can't use the plastic straps but just secure it with toe straps (luggage straps).

The tyre tread keeps in in place horizontally whilst the tie strap keeps it secure vertically (if you see what I mean). Certainly no problems in the last couple of years.
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

Post by volks_womble »

Cool, thanks. Will give it a try with the standard channels and see how we get on...

Ta
Mark
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Could add some mini plastic gutter to give you more tyre support, cheap and easy to remove later.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

peteandnero
80-90 Mem No: 7023

Post by peteandnero »

Hi,
I built a rack from various old ones and use the Fiamma rails as the base part. The 'gutter's will take any tyre, with larger ones sitting on top and not into the channel but the knobbles stop them slipping no problem as long as the strap is done up. The only issues I've had were with racing deep section wheels and with 3.0" mountain bike tyres with a relatively deep section rim as in these cases the strap wouldn't go round. I then used the old trick of toe clip straps. You can get them for a couple of quid and they will attach any bike to a rack securely.
1989 Westafalia Joker 1.9 TDI (MVE Conversion)