non VW, Scottoiler fitting

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

non VW, Scottoiler fitting

Post by scottbott »

anyone here ever use a Scottoiler on their bike?,if so what do you think of it?,they look pretty good and the extended chain and sprocket life sounds like it would pay for itself fairly quickly
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: non VW, Scottoiler fitting

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Never liked oil on bike chains - always used the melted grease method. Never had any issues with premature sprocket and chain wear.
Cheaper alternative to that oiler is to rig up an Eberspächer or Webasto fuel pump to do the job! Small cheapo pulse generator board from China/ebay to provide the pulse at whatever rate you wish. ( do you really need all the input data that the electronic version gives you :D )
Where does all that oil eventually go? Out onto the road surface? Up the back of your legs? :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

I used a scotoiler and was good then I used this and it it even better http://www.loobman.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I then made my own and found that better still . :ok
I used machine slideway lube and it worked well.
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Highroller
80-90 Mem No: 12833

Post by Highroller »

I used them years ago and think that they are great pieces of kit especially if you have a powerful bike, but with the price of a new chain and sprocket these days I tend to just use chain lube and drive a much more sedate bike.
1991 2.1 WBX Devon microbus twinslider hightop

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Post by lodgey62 »

Boiling was easy OBG as long as you have a split link,otherwise you probably have to remove the swinging arm, what a ball ache,heard nothing but good reports of the Scott oiler.Other option, get a shaft drive,no more oiling or adjusting.
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

Ianinpoole
80-90 Mem No: 15469

Post by Ianinpoole »

Buy a good chain with "X" rings not "O" rings and use white grease or wax the best you can buy, this saves splashing oil all over the place. :ok
T25 red '86, 1.9dg hi top
Vw CC 2009- 170 ps
Yam FJR1300
T6 180 4 motion
American Cockers 2

Oldiebut goodie

lodgey62 wrote:Boiling was easy OBG as long as you have a split link,otherwise you probably have to remove the swinging arm, what a ball ache,heard nothing but good reports of the Scott oiler.Other option, get a shaft drive,no more oiling or adjusting.
Soon put a split link in - only takes a couple of minutes, no need to dismantle the bike. Reynolds chain pin remover was part of everyone's tool kit and with a little bit of ingenuity was adapted to being able to re-rivet brake linings. Used one of mine for relining the brakes on my Merc a couple of years ago. :D
I must admit was a bit envious when BMW brought out their shaft drive - looked the bee's knees.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Ianinpoole wrote:Buy a good chain with "X" rings not "O" rings and use white grease or wax the best you can buy, this saves splashing oil all over the place. :ok

Good advice, the days of boiling chains are long gone.

Only experience with Scott oilers was years ago when myself and a few mates used to tour abroad on our bikes.

One lad bought one and admittedly his chain was always oiled nicely but the rest of us following got covered with the stuff!

In my opinion unless your doing a long, daily, winter commute the time it takes to use a tin lube once a week isn't worth the mess.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Worth getting the expansion tank if you go ahead with one. Fits behind the number plate.
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:
lodgey62 wrote:Boiling was easy OBG as long as you have a split link,otherwise you probably have to remove the swinging arm, what a ball ache,heard nothing but good reports of the Scott oiler.Other option, get a shaft drive,no more oiling or adjusting.
Soon put a split link in - only takes a couple of minutes, no need to dismantle the bike. Reynolds chain pin remover was part of everyone's tool kit and with a little bit of ingenuity was adapted to being able to re-rivet brake linings. Used one of mine for relining the brakes on my Merc a couple of years ago. :D
I must admit was a bit envious when BMW brought out their shaft drive - looked the bee's knees.

Sorry OBG you clearly know A LOT about mechanics, engineering etc but I aint putting 140 BHP through a split link. Linklyfe was fun 'though, especially if the tin tipped up on Mum's gas cooker, then split onto the kitchen floor. That stuff had a hell of a 'blanket power'.
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I had one with a large tank on my VFR750FP, got a bit of grief at the Swiss border, they didn't like the fact that I was oiling their roads.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Post by lodgey62 »

The very reason 160bhp+ will rip a split link
to bits,big Suzukis are approaching 200bhp
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

here's my tuppence-worth-I never used one but a few mates did, a lot of the time they ran dry and forgot to top up.
One mate had a chain snap as he pulled out to overtake and whip up past his leg, his oiler only oiled one side of the chain, the side you can see, the other side was badly worn.
A good quality x ring chain and applying spray grease as part of your regular checks does wonders. at the very least it means you check the chain regularly.
I wouldn't use a split link on anything over 250cc.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

Oldiebut goodie

A correct split link is made of the same materials as a standard link - there appears to be a lot of misinformation concerning them over the web, the majority of it coming from the US. Also the use of hot grease for lubrication is detailed in Renolds literature! I would rather have grease inside a bearing (the roller) than oil on the periphery being flung off in a total loss system. If the chain is running in an oil bath like a primary chain it makes sense to use oil, not on an open secondary though.
Of course this is only relevant to the older types of chain not the modern O/X/whatever ring ones ( what is the lubricant in an O ring chain?.....grease! :D )
Split links are known to be used on dragsters so the bhp argument fails right there. :wink:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Most replacement chains for big bikes use a softlink now where you pein the end over rather than a traditional splitlink, not saying you can't use them it's just seems this is what they come with.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.