non VW, Scottoiler fitting

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mr_Mac
80-90 Mem No: 15533

Re: non VW, Scottoiler fitting

Post by Mr_Mac »

I have one on my tiger. I'm a big fan. Yes it does take a bit of messing around to get it adjusted properly so that you don't get oil everywhere. The guys in Milngavie are oder helpful if you have any problems. I have the e-system. Expensive but worth every penny IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:A correct split link is made of the same materials as a standard link - there appears to be a lot of misinformation concerning them over the web, the majority of it coming from the US. Also the use of hot grease for lubrication is detailed in Renolds literature! I would rather have grease inside a bearing (the roller) than oil on the periphery being flung off in a total loss system. If the chain is running in an oil bath like a primary chain it makes sense to use oil, not on an open secondary though.
Of course this is only relevant to the older types of chain not the modern O/X/whatever ring ones ( what is the lubricant in an O ring chain?.....grease! :D )
Split links are known to be used on dragsters so the bhp argument fails right there. :wink:

What you say makes good engineering sense (that means, "your right") and I didn't know they were used in high output engines. To tell the truth I've never had a chain break or a split link fail and I think this is because I try and keep up on maintenance.
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Post by lodgey62 »

What cc is your bike though.?
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

lodgey62 wrote:What cc is your bike though.?

1000cc V twin; about 140 BHP and nearly 70 f/lb of torque. Riveted link. Had lots of bikes up to 850 cc and about 50-60 bhp and used split link.
On the oiling question, our local Aldi is floging off bottles of Muc-Off chain oils about £2 a bottle. Aimed at push bikes but working fine on my 'Winter'' bike.
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop