Socket Set - Recommendations

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Re: Socket Set - Recommendations

Post by tobydog »

clift_d wrote:
tobydog wrote:The sockets will last forever, the ratchet driver won't engage because the ball thingy can't move enough to engage with them :rofl

Dumb question perhaps. Why didn't you go back and get the ratchet replaced if it was defective? The Halfords Advanced stuff has a lifetime warranty.

No, not a dumb question. Bought the set because it was "on offer". To take it back is an hour or so driving and parking and then the wait in a queue of Citroen owners etc. while they discuss having indicator bulbs, wiper blades and so on changed..... just have better things timewise to get on with.

The first tools that I've bought in over 40 years that don't do the job they're meant to. Bought cheap stuff over the years and it's done the job, brocken them, but it was not unexpected. 40 years ago I would have taken them back because I needed them, now they're just a bad piece of publicity for Halfords.:(
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

My halford advanced set has done very well over the many years iv owned it ,, can't tell you how many Subaru engines and gearboxes its removed without any problems ,,, I use a impact gun to get tuff bolts off so it doesn't put strain on the ratchets so they still work as well as the day I got them ,,, I also oil them every few months

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Domino wrote:My halford advanced set has done very well over the many years iv owned it ,, can't tell you how many Subaru engines and gearboxes its removed without any problems ,,, I use a impact gun to get tuff bolts off so it doesn't put strain on the ratchets so they still work as well as the day I got them ,,, I also oil them every few months

A few drops of 3 in 1 allowed to seep into the ratchet mechanism will go a long way to preventing failure and prevent condensation from forming internally when used/stored in damp conditions.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.