Throttle cable

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ray Dodds
80-90 Mem No: 0

Throttle cable

Post by Ray Dodds »

hi, i have recently had my 1983 t25 in to have a throttle cable replaced, but they cannot work out how to fit it it seem's like there should be another piece to the new cable and they cannot work out the routing under the diesel tank i'm totaly stuck after buying 2 new cables from JK They can't seem to help either has anyone else had the same problem, if so any advice would be very welcome Ray.

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Re: Throttle cable

Post by Smiffo »

If a diesel is the same as a petrol, then there is a `tube` that goes over the tank ( from memory ) and not under it.
The steel cable threads through it and pops out behind the offside indicator ( on a RHD. )

Take the indicator out and you will see it.
Similarly under the van and behind the tank ( the end nearer the rear of the van ) you will find the other end of the tube that the cable threads through.

This is assuming the '83 model is the same as the '89 model, and also that you have the correct cable. I know DF and DG are different in length and end terminations from experience, so make sure you definitely have the right one for a diesel.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Ray Dodds

Post by Ray Dodds »

Many thank's Smiffo, i thought i had the right cable as i followed the JK part's list for what i wanted and the mechanic's have also spoken to them. any way i will pass on your suggestions and info. wich i appreciate thank's Ray

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Use Brickwerks next time fella.That way getting the correct part is guaranteed.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Ray Dodds

Post by Ray Dodds »

Thank's Rob, iv'e never heard of Brickwerk's but i will try them now! i'm only just starting with this camper malarky still learning Ray.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

As an 8090 member you will get a brickwerks discount as well Ray.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

R0B wrote:As an 8090 member you will get a brickwerks discount as well Ray.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What He Says Ray. ^^^

This is especially important if you are starting out and new to these vans. You need a trusty supplier that has tested the quality of their stock themselves and knows the vehicles enough to answer questions. The variations between yrs and models will boggle your mind at first..!!

Nothing worse than buying something from someone and it turns out to perish after a few months, or is the wrong part which leaves you stood next to your van scratching your head...!! Learn from the trials and errors of everyone else, find a good source like BW and stick to it IMO.

Ray Dodds wrote:Many thank's

You're welcome.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

As Smiffo says there should be a nylon guide tube running down the chassis and over the tank this does not come with a new cable and does not normally need replacing. Assuming you have a RHD vehicle and it sill has the correct engine and gearbox, early diesels depending on chassis number had a slightly shorter cable, you could have this one.
http://www.justkampers.com/252-721-555- ... -1982.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Ray Dodds

Post by Ray Dodds »

Thank's Herb, you could have something there ! Ray