Miles per gallon

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Karen&co
80-90 Mem No: 14854

Miles per gallon

Post by Karen&co »

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of how many miles per gallon a 1.9 air cooled will get? No extra bells and whistles but is carrying the awning, loo and various chairs.

Hubby has had to use it for work as we went to Festival Number 6 at the beginning of the month and much as the camper got stuck in the mud and towed out backwards, his car was parked on park and ride and was written off with flood damage so using Martha to commute to work and back daily. He's just calculated he's been getting about 21/22 mpg. Does this seem about right?

Thank you :)
If you think you can or you think you can't either way you'll be right

1.9 petrol Leisure Drive

moggymorgan
80-90 Mem No: 7655

Re: Miles per gallon

Post by moggymorgan »

sounds about right.ours does roughly 25 mpg. take all the gear you don`t need to lighten the van.
john & jenny
1979, cu devon.

Karen&co

Post by Karen&co »

moggymorgan wrote:sounds about right.ours does roughly 25 mpg. take all the gear you don`t need to lighten the van.

Thank you :) Poor van gets used as a shed for all our camping stuff when stood on the drive!

We've just driven it and filled up when getting low before, but as Mark is using it every day at the moment until we get another car, he decided to see what it gets per gallon.

1.9 petrol Leisure Drive

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

20l Aircooled CU , you'll be doing very well to get more than 15mpg in real life useage

its long drawn out process getting a true MPG reading.....
to be accurate you need to be sure what exact amount of fuel you have used, which is almost impossible with a T25 because even when the tank is empty and the pipes removed and nothing running out you can still get anything from 5 to 10 litres out by tipping the tank.
so putting a gallon and taking the mileage untill you run out isnt a accurate option..
so, from brim full , do 200 miles then brim full again ?from the same fuel station at the same temperature ..... nope, because the expansion tanks and ambient temp will make this just as hit and miss..
only thing you can really do is take note of miles covered and fuel bought over a long period of time and get a rough average..... i have data from every fill up since i have owned my current camper (5 years) and even then the petrol consumption is very vague .The LPG is much easier to get real numbers from as the tank ( should) shut off at the same pressure every time .

in real life, expect from 18 to 28 from a DG depending on routes and driving style and vehicle weight.

my 2.1 LPG ( always ) fully laden hitop camper averages 21mpg over 12 months, but monthly can be 17 to 26 mpg .
a whole tank full non stop on the M1, M42, M5 south returned 29mpg last day of july , yet the same exact jouney back northbound on the last day of August returned 25mpg !
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Karen&co

Post by Karen&co »

Thank you :) I guess that's why we like these vans, nothing too accurate! One good thing that came out of the disaster is that my milage gauge in the van started working after being towed out! Not sure why that would happen :D

1.9 petrol Leisure Drive

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Get the smiles per gallon gauge, much better imho
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Karen&co

Post by Karen&co »

kevtherev wrote:Get the smiles per gallon gauge, much better imho

:) very true

1.9 petrol Leisure Drive

Asw
80-90 Mem No: 12781

Post by Asw »

we get about 22 on a good motorway run. 15-18 on back roads.
I rebuilt the engine about 2000 miles ago. for the first 1000 miles it way way worse..

we didn't buy our van for its fuel efficiency ...
Ultimately, are we not all air cooled?
1981 Devon Moonraker, CU engine

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Asw wrote: we didn't buy our van for its fuel efficiency ...
That's the spirit :ok

I could list few more too :D .
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

kevtherev wrote:
Asw wrote: we didn't buy our van for its fuel efficiency ...
That's the spirit :ok

I could list few more too :D .

Couldn't agree more............however, I reckon we've spent about a grand just on petrol this year and JUST for holidays. Highlands, Kent, Derbyshire Dales, East Coast etc.
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

kevtherev wrote:
That's the spirit :ok [/quote]

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

Mine is a 1984 (1.9) watercooled. It's LPG and I have a 55L tank (though liquid it's 42L), as it has to allow expansion, which 9.23 Gallons.

If I am doing motorway at 70mph, dual carriageway etc on a trip. I can get 190-200 miles out of the tank before it converts to petrol. About 20 miles a gallon. Not bad for a 2 ton brick!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

Mocki wrote:20l Aircooled CU , you'll be doing very well to get more than 15mpg in real life useage

its long drawn out process getting a true MPG reading.....
to be accurate you need to be sure what exact amount of fuel you have used, which is almost impossible with a T25 because even when the tank is empty and the pipes removed and nothing running out you can still get anything from 5 to 10 litres out by tipping the tank.
so putting a gallon and taking the mileage untill you run out isnt a accurate option..
so, from brim full , do 200 miles then brim full again ?from the same fuel station at the same temperature ..... nope, because the expansion tanks and ambient temp will make this just as hit and miss..
only thing you can really do is take note of miles covered and fuel bought over a long period of time and get a rough average..... i have data from every fill up since i have owned my current camper (5 years) and even then the petrol consumption is very vague .The LPG is much easier to get real numbers from as the tank ( should) shut off at the same pressure every time .

in real life, expect from 18 to 28 from a DG depending on routes and driving style and vehicle weight.

my 2.1 LPG ( always ) fully laden hitop camper averages 21mpg over 12 months, but monthly can be 17 to 26 mpg .
a whole tank full non stop on the M1, M42, M5 south returned 29mpg last day of july , yet the same exact jouney back northbound on the last day of August returned 25mpg !

That is because you were going up hill :run
1y Tin top rust collector.