Power File

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Power File

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I am going to buy an electric power file and am looking for recommendations.

I know that a number of members use them, so which one would you recommend (excluding Festtool and others priced around 300).

Cheers
TAD
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Re: Power File

Post by fazzer »

At work we use a Makita approx £160 great tool but we do get through a few bearing but it does get used a lot.For my own personal use I have a cheap black and Decker file still does the job and spare parts are quite cheap.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I used a makita 9032. Must have gone through a hundred belts. Could never find belts good enough to last long on metal.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

fazzer

Post by fazzer »

Your right there our works Makita snaps the belts a lot but still a useful tool,yet my cheap black and Decker one don't.

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Now I'm in a dilemma.

I like the look and price of the makita but if they chew belts maybe I should buy cheap which is something that don't do.

I take it we're talking about the 30mm model?
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

fazzer

Post by fazzer »

I'm talking about the Makita that takes the 9mm wide bands .

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

There is also one out there that uses a different length belt to everything else :roll:

I have used a budget B&D clone and as long as you are patient the belts seem to last OK, although the Screwfix ones I had are very variable, the glued joint seems to fail first :x

Alzey
80-90 Mem No: 11484

Post by Alzey »

Another vote for the B&D. A very useful tool that I got given as a present and probably wouldn't have bought myself, I bought a bag of 50 belts at a car boot for very little but there not as good as branded :ok

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

I've had a B&D one for well over 30 years still going strong, but the motor at the side meant it would only work at an angle one way. I've just bought a cheap Silverline with an inline motor, works well but how long it will last is anyone's guess.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

weegaz22
80-90 Mem No: 15325

Post by weegaz22 »

I have an air powered one that takes the 330mm x 10mm belts, and like everyone else's they do snap belts quite quickly when used on metal, but i haven't tried any expensive belts for it like the Norton ones so maybe they would make a difference...or it could be marketing BS, its a handy tool none the less but dunno if i'd be paying that much for something that's not going to be used that often, I'd be putting my money elsewhere
1989 LHD Westfalia Multivan 1.9TD AAZ

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

My makita didn't really snap the belts, it's more that the grit just dislodged itself from the cloth of the belt leaving you with basically just a bit of cloth spinning round without any cutting power.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

B&Q - cheap and fairly reliable. if it goes wrong keep the busted one just buy another and keep the busted one for bits. I have been using them for years and years on all sort of jobs. I find the coarser grits shift the metal best and give a smooth enough finish for most applications and turn into the finer grit anyway in time.
Takes the whole head off an 8 mm bolt for instance in a very short time and leaves Dremels and the like for dead in my view.

Bugger buying three belts for for their exorbitant price. The trick is to use belts made from the wider belt sander belts. I grip a bit of 3mm metal strip about 12mm down in the vise jaws and slip the wide belt down the gap for a cutting jig using a regularly sharpened Stanley knife on the back of the belt. I get up to six thin belts per wide belt like this.
CS
PS there are several wide belt lengths available so take a proper bought belt with you to get the right one. :ok
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Some folk love their snap-on whereas I'm more of a Hikti, Festool Mafell kind of guy. However, I bought an Evolution from Screwfix and it's absolutely spot on, it may not last decades but then again it may as it gets occassional use in my hands. Their customer service is spot on, although I've never had to return anything to the previously mentioned quality suppliers :ok
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

davegsm82
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by davegsm82 »

I can recommend the cheap B&Q MacAlistair one, used it extensively on the roof replacement on my bus (we're talking about grinding back 200+ spot welds in one day) when my B&D one died. Says it supports 9 to 13mm belts but I've squeezed a home-cut 20mm one on and it worked brilliantly.

As Citizen smith has hinted at;

A) Buy a pack of their PTX 5x 75mm wide 457mm belts for £11 (or cheaper elsewhere) and cut them with tin-snips. Doesn't matter if they are a little wibbly-wobbly along the edge, they actually straighten up in use. Start the cut along where the belt is joined and try not to crease the belt as the material cracks then delaminates and cases premature wear.

B) B&Q don't ACTUALLY sell the correct sized belts for this unit. They sell 451mm belts at £6 for 3 which do fit but are under excessive tension when in use and fail quickly.

Also, don't run it at full bore all the time, wind the speed down to 4-5 and the belts last for ages, with only marginal effect on the cutting speed.

Dave.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Cheers chaps.
Our local DIY stocks MacAlistair so I may buy one of them.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l