F.o.r.d Keyfobs opening other cars.

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

davegsm82
80-90 Mem No: 0

F.o.r.d Keyfobs opening other cars.

Post by davegsm82 »

Anyone ever heard of the supposedly secure keyfobs on modern cars being able to open each other?

I was asked the question yesterday by my brother, because I'm "car" and "electronics" savvy.

Basically, twice now, my brother has walked out of the house, pressed the unlock button on his keyfob and subsequently both his AND my mum's cars have unlocked. The first time he simply assumed my mum had accidentally pressed the button in her pocket or handbag, however the second time she was asleep upstairs and the keys were on the kitchen bench.

Both cars are modern F.o.r.d's, 2012 I think, one is a Focus and the other a Focus-Max (essentially the same vehicle).

Although I'm no expert, I have a fair grasp on rolling code cryptography and as such, I realise that this should technically NEVER happen within our lifetimes (if at all, ever) due to the numbers involved.

Anyone else ever experience something similar?
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

moggymorgan
80-90 Mem No: 7655

Re: F.o.r.d Keyfobs opening other cars.

Post by moggymorgan »

Used to work in London as a service engineer. At one regular site when I locked my transit it opened a focus in the car park. When I opened my van the focus really locked.happened every time.
john & jenny
1979, cu devon.

moggymorgan

Post by moggymorgan »

moggymorgan wrote:Used to work in London as a service engineer. At one regular site when I locked my TRIFLE it opened a focus in the car park. When I opened my van the focus really locked.happened every time.
Transit.van
john & jenny
1979, cu devon.

moggymorgan

Post by moggymorgan »

It won't let me say the Ford Van name has had.
john & jenny
1979, cu devon.