German number plates

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Lottie
80-90 Mem No: 15267

German number plates

Post by Lottie »

Greetings all.
Have any group members tried to find the find the reg number of their imported t25?
Ours was imported from Germany in 2001 and it would be great to display it's original number at shows and events.
My other drive is Mini

Boldsailor
80-90 Mem No: 14829

Re: German number plates

Post by Boldsailor »

I believe that in Germany a new licence plate is issued every time there is a change of owner and that is also possible to have it changed if you move to an area with a different City/Regional code although I believe the latter to no longer be mandatory. For an older vehicle then there generally would have been several licence plates carried by a particular vehicle over the course of its time in Germany making it difficult to track down any particular plate that it has held.
2.1 Syncro Tintop Camper

eiret25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by eiret25 »

In Ireland on German made cars/vans German style show plates are all the rage although they are depending on the year, illegal.
1986 1.6 D Bundeswehr T3 Kombi

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Boldsailor wrote:I believe that in Germany a new licence plate is issued every time there is a change of owner and that is also possible to have it changed if you move to an area with a different City/Regional code although I believe the latter to no longer be mandatory. For an older vehicle then there generally would have been several licence plates carried by a particular vehicle over the course of its time in Germany making it difficult to track down any particular plate that it has held.

Correct - my bus is on it's fifth or sixth number and it's only had two owners.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

gary1998
80-90 Mem No: 7974

Post by gary1998 »

eiret25 wrote:In Ireland on German made cars/vans German style show plates are all the rage although they are depending on the year, illegal.

the year don't matter they're illegal here something to do with the font
but saying that on an older car/van Mr garda either doesn't know or doesn't care but they wont pass a doe/mot/nct
i have German font silver on black pressed plates but swap them for test

if just for show use make up a number don't forget to swap for drive home
1989 1y powered panel van camper
1980 1y powerd project
http://www.eireball.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

gary1998 wrote:
eiret25 wrote:In Ireland on German made cars/vans German style show plates are all the rage although they are depending on the year, illegal.

the year don't matter they're illegal here something to do with the font
but saying that on an older car/van Mr garda either doesn't know or doesn't care but they wont pass a doe/mot/nct

The year very well does matter. The Registration Plate formats do not apply to vehicles registered prior to 1 January, 1993, or to vehicles registered in the "ZV", "ZZ" or Trade Licence series. No set font either but must be clearly visible for all years, after '93 it had to be black digits on white reflective background. I have German style (no stickers) on my van and it passes CVRT every time.
1986 1.6 D Bundeswehr T3 Kombi

gary1998
80-90 Mem No: 7974

Post by gary1998 »

my van 89 failed last test with standard plate but German font
it certainly wont pass with silver on black
my car 92 wont pass nct with standard plate but German font
1989 1y powered panel van camper
1980 1y powerd project
http://www.eireball.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blakeys80
80-90 Mem No: 15374

Post by blakeys80 »

Hi all,
I've traced our 1981 German imported (in 2002) Tea conversation back to the British Army (a prefix, first two letters) which ties up as there is also a name on the earliest paperwork,which when searched,comes up with the name of an Army captain. The number plate surrounds are from Autohaus Paderborn too, which I think maybe is where an Army base may have been.

Interestingly its a Q plate currently, as whoever imported it left it in storage for 2 years before registering in UK, I'm guessing it was stored on an Army camp somewhere. :shock:

1981 LHD 2.0l CU with Twin Solex setup.

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

They don't like you having non standard fonts because the ANPR cameras can't read them. Also, by the same measure they don't like anything other than a euro or uk flag next to the numbers because it also confuses the camera apparently. I had the manufacturers badge on the plates of my 1995 fiesta and the police gave me a producer to change them asap.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'