Am I going to kill my van ? Towing

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Am I going to kill my van ? Towing

Post by Ralf85 »

I was over your way but forgot to make contact. How is the shed dragging going? How's the clutch holding out?

sternal
80-90 Mem No: 13349

Post by sternal »

coincidence on line at the same time this flashed up !

Its all good being the 1.7 its handling it fine -hills are a pain but not really any slower than without the eriba, liking the extra space !

be sure to let me know the next time you visit suburbia !
1.7 KY diesel ex Deutsche Post van

breaker-bar-jon
80-90 Mem No: 12762

Post by breaker-bar-jon »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on towing too.
Our T25 has a 1.9 diesel 1Y engine with a ASS 5 speed box. We're looking at towing a folding camper (Pennine Apollo) for the added space and fixed bed rather than messing with awnings etc. The unladen weight is 490kg with a max gross weight of 700kg. Not sure how its going to cope ??? I've read a couple of bits on-line about nose weight and steering becoming light but we've got AVO adjustable shocks 60mm lowered all round from Brickwerks and I was thinking of stiffening the back end up a litter to stop this. I know these aren't the fastest of vans but I wondered how anyone else had got on with towing anything similar? Any thoughts would really be appreciated please before I go and spend yet more money on a tow bar for it
Thanks
Jon.

footstuck
80-90 Mem No: 7622

Post by footstuck »

Just take your time and remember the extra heat build up must be allowed to cool when climbing long assents, so dont be full bore or youll F... something.
Hoses that are 20yrs plus. and clips that have not been checked will be the first in the chain to let go .. .. :oops:
And getting there is all that matters. so work through them.
Remember that with the engine in the back you have less chance of spotting steam or smelling the antifreeze'
We towed our 675Kg sprite all over the place with our 2WD 1.7 doka
A fully loaded twin wheel trailer, a long up hill drag, and not enough attention to said hoses killed it.
Take your time and you'll be fine.
We are now towing with our MTDI syncro with no such power issues :ok