Steam cleaning my engine

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Reimotim
80-90 Mem No: 10331

Steam cleaning my engine

Post by Reimotim »

Hi Guys,

Owning a TD, my engine bay is rather oily and sooty. I'd like to tidy it up and also track down exactly where the oil is escaping from. I was thinking of buying a karcher steam cleaner and giving the engine and engine bay a blast of steam.

Has anyone else done this? Will the Karcher be up to the job?

Thanks
Tim
1990 LHD Hi-top JX 5Speed.
3:16 cx

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Steam cleaning my engine

Post by Plasticman »

errr i think you mean a pressure washer ?? steam cleaner £k+++
Id go to a jet wash place at a garage, jizer it all and then jet but it dont half make a mess inside :rofl
mm

Reimotim

Post by Reimotim »

metalmick8y wrote:errr i think you mean a pressure washer ?? steam cleaner £k+++
Id go to a jet wash place at a garage, jizer it all and then jet but it dont half make a mess inside :rofl
mm

:roll: http://www.tesco.com/direct/karcher-sc1 ... 8-0057.prd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still get a bit of change from "£K+++" !

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

:rofl thats a bliddy hoover and a crap one at that,
mm :roll:

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... re-cleaner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this is not a particularly good one
your better calling at a local wagon place and asking nicely with a case or two of beers
mm

Reimotim

Post by Reimotim »

Not planning on starting up my own business, just tidying up my van!

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Remember , all that old oily crap is stopping the salt and warer corroding stuff, looks good for 6 months then you wish you hadn't.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

ah look, we'll start again,
the item you linked to is a hoover with a steam attachment for upholstery etc,how good or bad that is is another matter.
you said you wanted to clean the oily engine and engine bay ? so i said that that is not a steam cleaner as in one that garages use to clean engines and stuff
pressure washers are good for some things but not much good on oil etc as there is no detergent, also think of the mess as it splatters about your van cos it really does trust me there
now if you went and bought say 5ltrs of jizer or equivalent, then soak the engine with it, and boil a kettle or 5 and if you fill a watering can with water as hot as you can (add shower water as you need volume) with a good dollop of squeezy in it ,you will find this will shift the jizer laden grime with little mess to surrounding upholstery, ok you will have to do it a few times if its bad but its cheap clean.....ish and works
mm :ok

Reimotim

Post by Reimotim »

Hahaha!

No worries!
Just wondering if it'd work, that's all. Guess there's not really a quick alternative to good ol' fashioned hot water, detergent and elbow grease.

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

I have a similar steam generator which just about copes with the vinyl flooring in the cooking room at home. It achieves nothing on the engine, and mine is a reasonably clean lpg unit.

For downright dirty cleaning I recommend Bilt Hamber Surfex HD. Just as good as Jizer for shifting the muck but hoses off beautifully with cold water, leaves no mess on the drive and doesn't smell afterwards. Use neat for thick gungy stuff, 10% dilution for oily mess and 100% dilution for general cleaning.

I love the stuff. :ok

http://www.bilthamber.com/surfex-hd
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

The splattering onto the interior is why I never went the [garage] steam cleaner route.

The [right] mess on the driveway is why I never went the Jizer route.

So Wychalls stuff seems a good idea :ok

Wychall wrote:For downright dirty cleaning I recommend Bilt Hamber Surfex HD. Just as good as Jizer for shifting the muck but hoses off beautifully with cold water, leaves no mess on the drive and doesn't smell afterwards. http://www.bilthamber.com/surfex-hd

I wonder what happens to the oil it washes off? I suppose it must stay in solution and rinse away to somewhere.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Post by Porkscratching »

I use Gunk 'green' and I'm impressed with the results. Wash it off with a garden hose or a few kettles of water and Robs ya mothers bro'. No residue on the tarmac taboot.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

£1 paint brush, jam jar and TFR and a hose is my weapon of choice now. Work TFR in and rinse with hose. Couple of times needed. With engine lid on I do as much as I can with the steam cleaner ( huge karcher on four wheels) from underneath.

Have only cleaned an engine once with the steam cleaner and it's a ball ache TBH. By the time you tent off the engine bay so the interior doesn't get trashed - plastic sheeting from the sides and top of rear apperture to around engine bay then bag up tailgate , you can be done using a brush.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

18 month old post reopened by a Canadian spammer! :D
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

:ok
metalmick8y wrote:https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... cleanerand this is not a particularly good one
mm

:ok :ok
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l