4 Bike Rack

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ginja_ninja
80-90 Mem No: 12182

4 Bike Rack

Post by ginja_ninja »

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked loads before, but i cant seem to find a definitive answer.
Does anyone know of a 4 bike solution for a TD California?
Fiamma only do a 3-bike door mounted rack, but i note the T4 has a 4 bike solution. Could i modify the 3 bike rack to hold 4?
I have a swan neck tow bar and have seen some neat on-ball solutions, but slightly worried by talk of nose weights and front wheels lifting off the deck!

Any advice greatly appreciated
I now have a 3rd child; more expensive and demanding than the other 2!
'90 Westy California

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: 4 Bike Rack

Post by what2do »

Never thought about nose wights, good call. See plenty of cars with 4 bike racks but they're ok because they have the engine at the 'wrong' end!! I'm going to put van on the weigh bridge and see what the front axle loading is and then the rear axle loading. Were looking at a carrier too but I don't want to have to leave bags of cement in the front footwell a to counter balance it!
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

ginja_ninja

Post by ginja_ninja »

I've seen mention of 50 to 75kg nose weight, which with four bikes and the rack itself doesn't give any room for error.
I'd be interested to see what the actual numbers are.
Can't quite believe no-one out there, from my research anyway, has a solution..
Humph :cry:
'90 Westy California

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Those figure are lowwwwww. Worryingly so because the bike furthest away from the hitch is heavier than if it were above the hitch, thus, 2 bags of cement in the footwell (not over hanging the front bumper) wouldn't compensate for the bike weights! A bit of a concern as I'd also like to mount my motorbike carrier on the van too, not sure how the steering would like that especially as the racing season is a winter one and the venues are down country lanes. Could be exciting in the frost/ice.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

There was a recent thread on here about bike carriers.

The Thule model mentioned at the end is also available in Decathlon.

Can't comment on nose weights though.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

ginja_ninja

Post by ginja_ninja »

The hanging option looks interesting as that's lighter and closer to the van..
'90 Westy California

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

It's obviously been tested otherwise they wouldn't sell it but it would scare me having that on the back :?
Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

The Paulchen rack system can carry four bicycles. The base rack clamps onto the tailgate with brackets and has secondary legs that transfer some of the vertical load onto the bumper. You can still buy new from Paulchen:

http://paulchensystem.net/products/de/h ... us-t3.html

Alternatively, these racks come up for sale from time to time, but you need to check you get the secondary legs in the package as four bicycles is probably a bit too much load to put on the door hinges alone.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I have a towball mounted rack. I'm not far off 18st (on a bad day) and it'll hold my weight with my feet off the floor no problem and mines va quick-clamp type. :shock:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Cob20
80-90 Mem No: 13976

Post by Cob20 »

CovKid wrote:I have a towball mounted rack. I'm not far off 18st (on a bad day) and it'll hold my weight with my feet off the floor no problem and mines va quick-clamp type. :shock:
Maybe you could provide a new service there. :idea: Swinging off people's bike racks, just until you get a sweat on, then give them the CovKid seal of approval.

You would have to maintain the physique......... For test purposes and continuity of course. ;)
1980 2.0l AFC Vanagon Westy

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Agree, I could be hired (for a small fee and providing a crowd can be gathered) to put unsuspecting camper owner's bike racks through their paces. Wait till they've gone to the beer tent first obviously. :D

Seriously though, the towball ones are excellent. It amazes most people just how strong they are. The big advantage is you can lock them with a padlock when they're on, and they pack away very well if you need to take it off.

Having tried both styles, I much prefer the towball type but I appreciate theres a bit of a "I own a Fiamma" with some folk. Thats ok too.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Cob20
80-90 Mem No: 13976

Post by Cob20 »

CovKid wrote:Agree, I could be hired (for a small fee and providing a crowd can be gathered) to put unsuspecting camper owner's bike racks through their paces. Wait till they've gone to the beer tent first obviously. :lol:

:D:D:D:D
1980 2.0l AFC Vanagon Westy

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

Fiammas are great...until you want to clean the a*** end of your van. It's your worst enemy then :?
Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Not sure it helpsbut I had one of the VW bike carriers on y T5.
It had a max load of 60KG.
60KG is a good amount of weight, so much so we used to put our 2 bikes and the Kyham Awning on there and were still under the max load.
I did consider that load and weight can be different as hitting a sharp dip can increase the load etc etc (physics eh!).

Also, it's one thing sating 4 bike carrier and another getting them all on. We managed it once and that was with 2 adult, 1 small bike and a childs bike. It was awkward and little more than a tangle of handle bars and peddles - maybe that was just us.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

alfieboy
80-90 Mem No: 6327

Post by alfieboy »

Had this on the back of my old bus,it was modified from t4 rack. Held 3x adult and 1x kids bike easy enough.