TV in the camper using cheap Linux Laptops and freeview.

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

TV in the camper using cheap Linux Laptops and freeview.

Post by ghost123uk »

Firstly, lets not get into the "why watch TV when camping" debate ! Anyway, now the summer has gone "we" are more likely to find ourselves camping / staying over in "inclement" weather !

I am posting this just in case it helps anyone. As many will know I use Linux. The laptop I use in the van is a very modest one. I use it for "streaming" music to speakers when having a bit of a party etc, I use it for the internet occasionally via my phone, I use it for watching vids etc when it's raining but I also use it for FreeView TV via a USB FreeView adapter. Being a modest laptop the TV function was always a bit choppy. However, I have discovered a version of Linux and a TV tuner software that works REALLY well :D

Linux version 13 in the "XFCE" version. This is just the best yet for older laptops. I am really pleased with it's performance, and for Windows users it is even more like what you are used to. No learning curve required.

TV tuner software, available via the usual Linux software repo, (though I use the Synaptics Package Installer) is "Kaffeine".

My FreeView "dongle" uses the common DibCom 3000 M/CP chipset and one has to use the Linux "Additional Drivers" widget, but that is dead easy and takes seconds.

The performance is just superb, the picture quality is 100% perfect as is the lip-sink etc. You can record to playback later, schedule recordings, etc etc. Just cannot fault it at all :)

As mentioned, this laptop is a 10+ year old Dell D600 :shock: and this has given it a very good new lease of life indeed. You can buy them for peanuts as per = LINK to Ebay (though a memory "max out" to 2GB is recommended and cheap enough).

If anyone needs any further info, just shout out on this thread.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here