Roof rack maximum weight

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jokerbetty
80-90 Mem No: 10510

Roof rack maximum weight

Post by Jokerbetty »

Hi All. I have just fitted a heavy duty roof rack to my westy poptop, and a Thule basket to that. I then went to raise the roof and found it really difficult. I had to adopt the weightlifter pose with my legs apart and arms straight lifting from the legs, and a reddened strain to my face to get it to go up. I was worried that I will damage the lifting bar and the hinges if 'I add any weight to the rack. Then putting the roof down the catch was slightly out of line, it worked but 'I had to give it a good slam to get the little pin to go in right.
So I am asking anyone who has a rack fitted if you have had any concerns or problems with weight. I have found a lighter Thule set of bars with gutter brackets on flea bay but I think the problem will still be there if 'I put any weight in any combination of rack. I plan to use it for the spare tyre as I have recently given up the spare wheel space for an lpg tank.

Give us some guidance as I am thinking it might be less damage to just take it all off and run without a spare.

Cheers and cheer up its Easter bank holiday soon - Jez :