Petromax Lighting Problems

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

eiret25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Petromax Lighting Problems

Post by eiret25 »

Hey, when I bought my T3 ex Bundeswehr, I got a Petromax 500hk included as part of the package, however, I am finding it impossible to get the thing properly lit. After going through the starting procedure and having closed the preheater valve and turning the fuel knob 180 d down all Im left with is dirty flames coming out the top and a sooty lantern. Any help would be great
1986 1.6 D Bundeswehr T3 Kombi

thechubbsdub
80-90 Mem No: 6445

Re: Petromax Lighting Problems

Post by thechubbsdub »

Is the flame from the preheat valve hitting the mantle? and how long are you preheating it for? Have you tried using meths instead of the preheater? If none of that works, it might need a clean.
Stick with it, they are worth the effort.
Don't eat yellow snow.

http://www.helpinghandscambodia.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Ya the mantle is burning, im preheating it for a bout 30secs. Ive gone through as many mantles trying to get it to light but in the end they just become covered in carbon and soot just as the hood and glass does. I dont think I can use meths as it is one of the older ones that just has the rapid preheater. Will try again today

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Hiya mate.....I've got 2 Optimus, 2 Vapalux, 1 Bialladin and one Tilley lamp and although all different they all 'vaporize' the fuel in the same way as the Petromax.
Check first that you are getting a perfect/clean jet of fuel squirting vertically from the nozel under pressure, that it isn't diverting off at an angle...YES? then refit the hood, check there is the correct air gap through the hole using the adjusting tool provided, by altering the gap by turning the cross head screw.
If all the above checks out OK? the only thing it can be is the vaporizing tube isn't getting hot enough.
30 seconds isn't long enough for the pre-heat torch, I would say a full minute to a minute and a half....you know when it is close as you begin to hear a popping noise....also, as the pre-heat torch uses up the pressure, you may need to re-pump during pre-heat to keep a good pre-heat flame.

The other method:
The Meths dish is a far more civilized way of lighting these things, it does required a longer Pre-heat, something like two and a half to four minutes (as long as a FULL meths dish takes to burn off). Trick is to fill the dish to the top, light, allow to burn until the meths has almost burn off, then a quick 10 - 20 pumps and turn on just as the flame begins to die out (still a good flame though).

My Pre-war Optimus 300

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Great stuff, thanks for the replys. Will check it out and get back to you. Thanks again and fingers crossed!!
:ok

California Dreamin

They are definitely not for the 'faint hearted' A 'MANS TOY'

Like I say, lighting with Meths is a far less INTENSE affair....all the same, be patient and give it time.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Got it!! Cleaned it up, tightened the spray nozzle. Fitted a new mantle and got it. The noise and heat of it is normal I presume. Also at the very bottom of the mantel there is a hole about 15mm, is this normal? Thanks

California Dreamin

eiret25 wrote:Got it!! Cleaned it up, tightened the spray nozzle. Fitted a new mantle and got it. The noise and heat of it is normal I presume. Also at the very bottom of the mantel there is a hole about 15mm, is this normal? Thanks

The 'Roar' of the lamp is completely normal.
As for the hole? these use a 500 candle power sock type mantel which has just the ONE open end..it sounds as though you may have fitted a double holed (250 - 300CP) mantel as used on Tilley's and Vapalux lamps, these have a completely different fixing and are too small.
The hole isn't a good thing as you might damage the glass or worse still, overheat the base which in very rare circumstances can lead to the lamp de-soldering and exploding.

Single holed sock mantles like this....note one pink end:

NOT the double holed ones like these (note 2 pink ends)

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Thanks, I lit it again yesterday. I was thinking the hole may be part of the mantel design, but after a time lit, the base was getting warm to the degree where I thought something was wrong. The hole was blown through the mantel and the flare which was hard to see in the day light was heating the base. Thankfully it was not on for long. I replaced the mantel and now it is running far cooler, quieter and brighter. I gave it a try last night in the darkness and It is perfect. Thanks again for your help. Currently on the lookout for a second one, love them!! :ok

California Dreamin

:ok they are rather addictive aren't they. I started with the one Optimus, went on to Tilley's, sold most of them to move to Vapalux.

The Petromax design was patented across many different brands, so you will see Anchor, Hipolito, Optimus, Butterfly and a myriad of others that ALL look the same as the Petromax.
Problem is they are ALL pretty much made in China now, even the Petromax, so the build quality is not what it used to be.
As a basic rule most post mid 70's are cheaper chrome plated steel but pre-70's are mostly nickel plated brass or just brass. The quality of these earlier lamps is far superior to the later stuff.

Look at Hipolito, Optimus & petromax but as I say, earlier lamps that were actually made in Germany...Sweden/Portugal (Optimus/Hipolito) and not in China.

I find the Vapalux lamps work very well, not as expensive or attractive perhaps as the petromax but good build quality, reliable and spares are cheaper.

Look at the M320 ....lots on sale for £40 - £90 avoid the brand new ones as they may not be built in Halifax but there are plenty of used or nearly news for sale.

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 04 Jun 2013, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Addictive they are surely!! Although I dont know the year of manufacture, it is stamped as made in Germany. It is brass coated in a matt nickel finish. It came from the bundeswehr and comes with its own metal carry case. Pity the production moved to China, you have a bit of reassurance and a feeling of quality if it was built in Germany. Thanks again for your assistance, many a bright night lies ahead!! :ok

California Dreamin

Matt Nickel plated brass...sounds like military issue.....same as these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petromax-HK50 ... 3f20975fec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very nice quality and German made.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Ya the exact same. However from my failed attempts to get it going, the hood on my Petromax is now somewhat tarnished :( , still a quality bit of kit.

California Dreamin

That's clean up mate, no worries.
I must admit, lighting with the 'blow torch' lol, does produce quite a bit of black soot especially if it flares up a few times before lighting.
Like I say, Meths is generally a lot less eventful and generally a cleaner way of lighting these.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

The Bobdogs
80-90 Mem No: 6101

Post by The Bobdogs »

I find the vapalux isn't really complete without a nice fitted shade though....... :run :run :run
'The Bobdogs'
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

07793 126323