Outer tyre wear a year on from tracking

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Re: Outer tyre wear a year on from tracking

Post by bmouthboyo »

937carrera wrote:If they don't understand what Bigherb posted walk away. Take the spec sheet from the Wiki.

Ask if they'll just measure up for free, some do.

bigherb wrote:Find someone who can do proper alignment, the wheels need to go on sector plates and toe measured at 20 deg lock it should be 1deg 10 minutes +-20 minutes, if it is way out then you need to sort out wheels that will fit properly.

Perfect.

From my adjustment sheet it seems the Caster is the one that was not touched and out of spec, am I right in thinking that is the tie rods and they could contribute to this type of wear? The lad who did the adjustments was apparently not the 'usual' guy who does it and he mentioned one of the adjustments being near limits which I assume is that one.

Do these look to have plenty of adjustment left in them?

Thanks again for all the help guys
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

OK so I took it for another alignment today and no idea how but everything seems to have become out over the space of a year. The only difference was I added weight in terms of units, large leisure battery, and an LPG tank which usually results in opposite edge wear. Anyway fingers crossed for this setup.

Fist Tracking 12 months ago

Todays Tracking
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Well, having 1 degree 45 minutes toe in will wear the outside edges off quite quickly.

Good to see the caster back in spec, was anything done in the 12 months to adjust that ? Real change or measurement error (by the less trained mechanic ?) perhaps ?

There's a bit of excess camber on the rear, did they not touch the back end at all. 5 min to on the left is perfect, but 22 minutes is a bit much. I would feel that in a car, but not perhaps in a T25

The good news is you can continue to run those rims and see what happens. :roll:

Do check your tyre pressures more frequently, they were quite low, and I would have a bit more puff in the back too

I hope you can feel it drive differently

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/brickwerks ... l-of-them/

p.s. -did you get the toe in measured at the 20 degree angle as suggested by bigherb ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine